Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 94 Jeep Wrangler Project and it has some bad rust spot on the body and frame. As you can see the some of the holes are all the way through and on the frame you can see that the rust is extensive and in the one pic you can see where the steering box is on the back side. How can I plate this and fix the holes on the body. Again it is a project vehicle so I have lots of time with it. The Jeep runs and drives great. Does anyone have any ideas???

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tub is easily fixed if you have autobody skills... All the frame replaced parts are available as well.... Just comes down to how much work your willing to put in...I had a heavily rotted tub and a lightly rotted frame myself but chose to just switch out both tub and frame to solid ones in the course of my build for peace of mind. Link to frame pieces here vv

Jeep Frames & Accessories - Quadratec

·
Registered
988 Posts
For the rocker panels, you can buy new ones and weld them into place after cutting out the old ones. You can find the new rocker panels on Jeep Rust Repair Panels - 1987-96 Wrangler YJ Outer Rocker Panel

That's where I bought mine. As for the other rust spots on the body, you can cut them out and reweld new sheet metal in place. I've never done frame repair, but from what I see people doing, they're taking steel and welding braces together for the rotted areas. POR-15, Marine Clean, and Metal Ready will become good friends of yours. Make sure to prep the metal with the Marine Clean and Metal Ready before doing the POR. It's the proper way to do it so the POR will last.

Hope this helped a bit :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
FIRST THINGS FIRST. I have a 95 YJ and I had frame and suspension rust pretty bad! Start taking that bitch apart to be sure on how much you need. How is the frame where the belly pan bolts in?

·
Registered
988 Posts
^^^ agree. Make sure those pan bolts wont fall out, or else thatll be a disaster

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used a couple pieces of donor junkyard frame and some 1/8" steel to fix. Find local steel shop and ask for "drop pieces". It's stuff left over that they sell usually cash sell. I bought a 6" wide 8 foot long piece for I think $30. That much from home depot would gave been 4 x's that. I had to plate or replace 95% of my driver side frame rail.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dont know for sure. I guess things can be different by state. Which state are you in? If the forums are any indication, there are a ton of jeeps out there with plated frames.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in the Mountains of Eastern Kentucky. Someone posted something on here once that said there was somewhere you can actually but pre-made frame plates but I cant find it. Anyone else know or have any idea what to use to plate a rusty frame...

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you google repair rusted YJ frame you will get all kinds of suggestions. If you go on eBay and enter YJ frame you'll see a couple kits for sale. Personally if your able to weld frame you should be able to make them yourself. I did and I only had 3 month experience welding. Just find a cranny that sell steel and get some 6" wide stuff. Make some cardboard templates. Cut with skill or sawzall saw or even cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ekytrader said:
Mostly from the front wheels forward. It has some major issues around the steering box...
Steering box is common area. Mine was plated when I bought it last year. Next place to check is end of rear frame rails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts