Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my jeep decided it doesn't want to start today, and when i went out to start it it would turn over but would not start, so i pulled a plug out and it was dry and sparking, and i can hear my fuel pump working when i turn the key and there is pressure in the fuel rail. It just wont start. it was running perfect the day before so i have no idea what it could be. any ideas on what this could be?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
A dry plug should tell you no fuel in the cylinder. Yes the fuel pump runs and applies pressure but it seems from what you found you are delivering the fuel to the cylinders. Check fuel at the rail and then the injectors. Could be electrical. I am guessing I am TBI 89.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is pressure in the rail, unsure about the injectors, it acts like it was to start it just wont, its mpfi with an 87-91 2.5 block

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well its started up yesterday like nothing was ever wrong with it without me doing anything, must be electlrltrical, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like it only happens when it rains?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Really strange. If the plugs are dry, its not getting fuel. They should be wet with raw fuel if its cranking.

The rain is interesting because maybe something is getting wet and cutting out spark? Are there any suspect connections?

If the rail is OK, why not try starting with the injectors and go from there? You need to rule things out one at a time.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surfinglbi23 said:
Really strange. If the plugs are dry, its not getting fuel. They should be wet with raw fuel if its cranking.

The rain is interesting because maybe something is getting wet and cutting out spark? Are there any suspect connections?

If the rail is OK, why not try starting with the injectors and go from there? You need to rule things out one at a time.
How do I test those?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try the crankshaft position sensor. Mine was disconnected once by the dealer when they did a repair and it just wouldn't start. Sounded great, just wouldn't start. They tried to tell me it was my alarm and when they finally realized it was disconnected, they told me it was bad and charged me to replace it. Frickin' dealers... The unit itself could be bad or the connector/contacts. Jiggle it around and try starting it and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
caposto said:
Try the crankshaft position sensor. Mine was disconnected once by the dealer when they did a repair and it just wouldn't start. Sounded great, just wouldn't start. They tried to tell me it was my alarm and when they finally realized it was disconnected, they told me it was bad and charged me to replace it. Frickin' dealers... The unit itself could be bad or the connector/contacts. Jiggle it around and try starting it and see if anything changes.
We bought a new one and put it in, it didn't do anything so we put the old one back in, then 2 days later it started like nothing was wrong

1 - 10 of 10 Posts