Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 2013 Rubicon, and all these horror stories about the DW is making me have second thoughts. Does anyone know if they fixed this issue yet? It's a lot of money, and I don't have extra $$$ to spend on fixing something that should already have been fixed.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It is not really something Chrysler can "fix". It is something that may undoubtedly happen to some when you are dealing with people modifying their vehicles that have a solid front axle.

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
I'm planning on buying a 2013 Rubicon, and all these horror stories about the DW is making me have second thoughts. Does anyone know if they fixed this issue yet? It's a lot of money, and I don't have extra $$$ to spend on fixing something that should already have been fixed.
If you are referring to the mismatched bolt and track bar mounting hole dimensions, I highly doubt they incorporated a change.. because then they would have to admit there's a design flaw and issue product recalls.

Chrysler's new tag line should read... When you buy a Jeep, you're on your own Amigo!

:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Rubicon 4 door. The wobble has not been corrected. 4" lift with 35" tires. All installed at an off road shop before delivery. Mine is not due to worn parts or improperly installed/maintained parts. We kept the same wheels that we had on our 2007 that we traded in, it only had the wobble issue after we put the factory wheels back on. It had oil consumption issues. Hoping to have the wobble resolved before winter weather.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 2013 Rubicon 4 door. The wobble has not been corrected. 4" lift with 35" tires. All installed at an off road shop before delivery. Mine is not due to worn parts or improperly installed/maintained parts. We kept the same wheels that we had on our 2007 that we traded in, it only had the wobble issue after we put the factory wheels back on. It had oil consumption issues. Hoping to have the wobble resolved before winter weather.
A 4" lift is far from a stock Jeep.

How could Chrysler proactively address a wobble issue when they have no idea what, if any, suspension mods you're going to be using.

Stock JKs do not have wobble issues. Or if they do, it's exceptionally rare.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Death Wobble on a new modified Jeep, is really pretty easy to diagnose. Given that in most cases your tie rod ends, Drag Link, and Ball Joints should all still be good (given that you haven't beaten the tar out of it...) If you still have a stock front track bar. It is probably flexing. Flex is great in a Jeep, but not in your Track bar :p. Get a heavy aftermarket track bar and your good to go. Just another item that needs to be replaced when lifting a jeep and installing larger tires.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Deductive reasoning--WHY do wobbles occur? Because something is loose or worn.

Period. Anyone who says otherwise needs to step back and use their noggin.

DW is not a Jeep thing, a 2007-2013 JK thing, or a Chrysler thing. I can make any vehicle go into full-blown DW by loosening some stuff up. User competency goes a long, long way here. If you don't have it, go to someone who does. Wobbles happen for a reason and that reason is normally very easy to diagnose and cure. DW isn't some mysterious force coming from a parallel universe like so many seem to think.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Deductive reasoning--WHY do wobbles occur? Because something is loose or worn.

Period. Anyone who says otherwise needs to step back and use their noggin.

DW is not a Jeep thing, a 2007-2013 JK thing, or a Chrysler thing. I can make any vehicle go into full-blown DW by loosening some stuff up. User competency goes a long, long way here. If you don't have it, go to someone who does. Wobbles happen for a reason and that reason is normally very easy to diagnose and cure. DW isn't some mysterious force coming from a parallel universe like so many seem to think.
This. After having over somewhere around 12-15 lifted Jeeps over the course of my life, I can say that 80-90% of the time it's the front track bar. Either loose or worn or flexing or all 3.

If not, something else is loose or worn in the front end. It's not a trait of a vehicle with everything tight, lifted or not. If you are not mechanically competent and your normal shop can't fix it, go to one that can.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This. After having over somewhere around 12-15 lifted Jeeps over the course of my life, I can say that 80-90% of the time it's the front track bar. Either loose or worn or flexing or all 3.

If not, something else is loose or worn in the front end. It's not a trait of a vehicle with everything tight, lifted or not. If you are not mechanically competent and your normal shop can't fix it, go to one that can.

+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
m998dna said:
If you are referring to the mismatched bolt and track bar mounting hole dimensions, I highly doubt they incorporated a change.. because then they would have to admit there's a design flaw and issue product recalls.

Chrysler's new tag line should read... When you buy a Jeep, you're on your own Amigo!

:D

X2

Lol. But no joke

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
No, Chrysler hasn't "fixed" DW. There's nothing to "fix."

This is the problem with getting auto safety information written by some newbie reporter on CNN who's never left his desk, leases all his cars, and couldn't tell you how to change a flat tire.

DW can happen on any solid front axle vehicle with improperly sized, improperly installed, or improperly maintained components. CNN always seemed to forget that little fact when they reported on this "problem with Wranglers."

There's a big thread telling you everything you need to know about diagnosing and fixing DW right here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

The odds of it occurring in a properly assembled and properly maintained stock solid front axle vehicle--including a brand new Wrangler--are exceptionally low. It would require some sort of assembly defect--i.e., they forgot to tighten certain bolts at the factory, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Track bar flexing-Is that even possible aftermarket ? I can see the stock crap.
My stock track bar would flex right in the buldge over the front diff. The aftermark Rock Krawler track bar was so stout and heavy, I don't think it would be possible to flex that thing with a bulldozer. I have heard about some early JKS track bars flexing, but they have since redesigned them and resolved the issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Death wobble = tire out of balance/extremely badly worn (most prob on the inner) and worn suspension/steering bushes..

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
clvnmcd said:
My stock track bar would flex right in the buldge over the front diff. The aftermark Rock Krawler track bar was so stout and heavy, I don't think it would be possible to flex that thing with a bulldozer. I have heard about some early JKS track bars flexing, but they have since redesigned them and resolved the issue.
I have the Tf front and RK rear on order.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts