Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to anyone?
I picked my jeep up wed night. Took the dealer tire cover off on thur morning and after a heavy rain on Friday this was on my bumper on sat morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a hawk eat something on a lamppost above my truck. When I came out there were blood drips all over my windshield. This looks similar

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had the exact thing on my jeep when i first got it, after the first rain storm i saw these black streams (just like yours). I forgot exactly what i used but it was some kind of bug remover like substance I think its from the tire but after a couple of washes it lessened out and now theres no
More.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
could it be some sort of coating off the tire?

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
probably just rust from the rim (if you have steel) or some of the hardware holding it on the carrier.

·
Registered
293 Posts
same thing...mine started after I ran it thru the car wash,,,, they used tire shine(wet look) and since then, after a rain the exact same thing..
I know its a pain to get off. I found invisaglass aerosol takes it right off

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same thing on my brand new jeep. Mr Clean Magic eraser took it off in 2 secs. Looks like it was some tire cleaner or something like that.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mine had it and still gets it, waxed it right out. Keeping a good coat of wax in that area helps getting future stains out. I think it may be from whatever tire polished you put on the 5th wheel.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
apparently this is from some oil they put on the threads on the spare tire. at least that was the conclusion the last time around

·
Registered
598 Posts
Blastek said:
apparently this is from some oil they put on the threads on the spare tire. at least that was the conclusion the last time around
That's makes more sense than my theory because I did not shine that tire when I cleaned it up once and to think of it the stains re occurred.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most tire manufacturers use a releasing agent called cosmolene when their tires come out of the molds. This might be what you're seeing as it is coming off due to the water.

·
Registered
806 Posts
YES .. it is some type off coating on the tire from either the manufacturer or Jeep factory. Just did my 5 tire rotation at 5,000 miles and will see if the tire on there now does it.
Rob ....

·
Registered
49 Posts
It IS the release agent from the tire. Keep the bumper clean or it might stain it.
It will go away after about 3-4 months.
Or you could rotate your tires sooner.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It IS the release agent from the tire. Keep the bumper clean or it might stain it.
It will go away after about 3-4 months.
Or you could rotate your tires sooner.
I was getting ready to post this exact same thing. Scrub the tire with a good degreaser and it will stop. Or like mentioned above, trade it with a tire you got a couple hundred miles on. All new tires have a release agent. It's oily.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts