Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 33" tire on the back of my hatch, which weighs it down. so you have to lift the hatch a bit to close it, i recently put on a tailgate bar on because it was missing it when I bought it. It closed fine for a while with the exception of lifting it, but as i was driving today it popped open, so i had to pull over and close it, but it wouldnt shut all the way, so i just kinda strapped it shut for now, so if it does open again the strap will hold it shut. anyone else have trouble with the hatch closing? any suggestions?

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
By hatch, I'm guessing you mean the tailgate?

If you have a 33" tire hanging on the tire carrier there, it can cause it to warp. It did mine anyway. Until you can upgrade to something like a back bumper with a good tire carrier (Think Rock Hard brand) they it might be a good idea to dismount your spare and just lay it inside the Jeep.

Once you get the tire off, thus the strain that it produces, you can assess the damage and with luck readjust the gate accordingly so that it will work properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts