Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded from a YJ to a TJ. I am wanting to know if there is something I can do to get it where I can just turn the key without pressing the clutch to start my 1997 TJ? It is very annoying cause it has to be all the way to the floor and I hate it cause I can't just reaching and put it in neutral an crank it up.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Check the fuse box under the hood it might have an open slot to put a fuse for a clutch override. Not sure exactly what its called I know my 06 has one. For the heck of it last week I stuck a fuse in it and tried it and it fired right up. No clutch needed!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
Your '97 TJ' s interlock is bypassed by moving a small electrical connector above the driver's side footwell. I can post a diagram tomorrow but it's also in the Owner's Manual. The ability to insert a fuse to bypass the interlock didn't happen until '98.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The switch on my last jeep broke so I bypassed it. I dont remember if I just unplugged it, or if I had to short the wires.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your '97 TJ' s interlock is bypassed by moving a small electrical connector above the driver's side footwell. I can post a diagram tomorrow but it's also in the Owner's Manual. The ability to insert a fuse to bypass the interlock didn't happen until '98.
I would like a diagram. I don't have a owners manual. I was going to purchase one, but don't want to pay what people are asking for them. I have bought many used cars that the owners manual was missing and bought one. They were only $5-$10. Still looking for a PDF online.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I do get a 1997 TJ owners manual I will be making a PDF to share with others.

·
Registered
981 Posts
There is just something wrong about having a auto in a Jeep.
Better yet buy a TJ with an auto trans.

:rolleyes:
I think you'll find most rock crawlers are in fact running an auto trans :thumb:

But have fun with the stick, don't forget, hand brake, hand throttle, don't press the clutch in if you're in mud or water, hope that you installed the bypass if you do stall out in mud or water.

Yeah, you guys are right, the auto trans is a stupid option :doh:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
There is just something wrong about having a auto in a Jeep.
I used to think that too. However, the tougher the trails you start doing, the sooner you'll find why most of the pro-level competition rigs long-ago switched to using automatics. Heck I even converted my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed to an automatic for rock crawling which provided nearly as much benefit as installing the front/rear lockers did. Not to mention the 2-3X greater low-end torque the automatic's torque converter provides when compared to a stick shift. When that TJ was stolen a couple years ago, I made sure the replacement had an automatic too.

·
Registered
981 Posts
When the OP is only asking how to bypass the safety switch, it's a stupid suggestion.
Oh I certainly agree with this statement! Its such a stupid suggestion for a "fix" that one might have even thought.... it was a joke?? :thumb:

I'll try to use more smileys from here on out, so that people don't confuse my terrible attempt at humor, for a legit response anymore. :hide:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use mine to drive every day and do some weekend warrior on the side. No need to go crawler with my TJ

·
Registered
244 Posts
First Jeep was a 1971 CJ, and I had no idea that you could start a manual without pressing in the clutch...needless to say, I almost ran over myself and my then-fiancee not once, but TWICE! Took some getting used too!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts