Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
JK is 2,000, JK Unlimited is 3,500. Tongue weight also has to be factored in. I also wouldn't pull a horse trailer with a Wrangler.

·
Administrator
16,983 Posts
Here's the basics, but you need to read your owners manual for specifics.

JK (all gearing) = 2,000 lbs max- 200 lbs Tongue weight
JKU w/3.21 gears = 2,000 lbs max- 200 lbs Tongue weight
JKU w/3.73 or 4.10 = 3,500 lbs max- 350 lbs Tongue weight

Personally I would not tow a horse with a Wrangler under any circumstances.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A number of years ago, I witnessed a wreck....... 6 horse trailer being pulled with a good half ton truck........ There were animals injured after the trailer ended upside down in the ditch. LEO's had to put two of them down on the spot!
I could care less about you, the tow rig, or whatever......but the animals have no choice in the matter........think about them! Use more than enough towing rig when hauling livestock, please! Dont skimp! Dont be a dumbass!
Yes, I get more than a little passionate about issues like this!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just asking because I'm moving and need to take my horse with me. She doesn't weight that much, but my trailer is huge.

I'll just rent a heavy duty truck.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Only if it's one of those miniature horses that weight a few hundred pounds. Wranglers are terrible tow vehicles, period.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I was just asking because I'm moving and need to take my horse with me. She doesn't weight that much, but my trailer is huge. I'll just rent a heavy duty truck.
You can pay professionals to just tow your trailer. There are many companies that have commercial drivers licenses and insurance and can tow your trailer for you. Usually the smallest truck they bring out is a 1 ton dually with a 5th wheel and all the hitches you could need. It may be easier than finding a heavy duty truck to rent.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
3500 only with 3:73 gearing.
In 2015 there's only the Max Tow Package which includes 3.73's, if I'm understanding the 2015 update correctly, so I believe now the only difference in tow capacity is 2,000 for a JK and 3,500 for an Unlimited, because they all now have 3.73's unless you have a Rubicon with 4.10's. I believe every 2015 now gets the Max Tow Group. That might not have been the case for very early 15's. Someone can chime in if I'm off base on this for 2015.

·
Administrator
16,983 Posts
In 2015 there's only the Max Tow Package which includes 3.73's, if I'm understanding the 2015 update correctly, so I believe now the only difference in tow capacity is 2,000 for a JK and 3,500 for an Unlimited, because they all now have 3.73's unless you have a Rubicon with 4.10's.
Incorrect, not all JKU's have 3.73. It's an option by itself or part of Max Tow package. Jeep.com still shows trailer tow group (3.21) as an option.

I've never seen #s but I speculate most Sports/Saharas have 3.21.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Incorrect, not all JKU's have 3.73. It's an option by itself or part of Max Tow package. Jeep.com still shows trailer tow group (3.21) as an option.

I've never seen #s but I speculate most Sports/Saharas have 3.21.
I know that some JK Unlimiteds have 3.21's, and the separate 3.73 option, but after reviewing this attached thread along with Jeep.com it seemed like there might have been a change for 2015. I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not sure myself: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2015-jk-tow-package-915737.html

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
I know that some JK Unlimiteds have 3.21's, and the separate 3.73 option, but after reviewing this attached thread along with Jeep.com it seemed like there might have been a change for 2015. I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not sure myself: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2015-jk-tow-package-915737.html
The Tow packages stuff had some problems at the beginning of the 2015 model year. :rolleyes:

The regular tow package was unavailable for a few months, and people who had it on order, where thrown over to the Max Tow package. Plus, some early 2015 window stickers incorrectly showed the 3.73 as part of the regular tow package (Jeep re-issued corrected stickers to dealers for those).

If you are unsure about your own JK, log onto the Jeep Owners website, and check your equipment list.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good question!

I was just asking because I'm moving and need to take my horse with me. She doesn't weight that much, but my trailer is huge.

I'll just rent a heavy duty truck.
Great question to ask, and an excellent choice to rent a HD truck. :thumb:
Livestock really changes the dynamics of the load, so you always want to pull with a vehicle well above the combined weight of trailer and livestock.
A 3/4 ton truck with a double horse trailer is a nice combo, for comfort and security.
Some of the new 1/2 tons can pull a two horse trailer pretty well too, with good tires.
Any chance you've got a friend that does gymkhanas or rodeos, that can help you out? That would be awesome to get some first hand experience from someone who has pulled horses around a lot.

Good luck! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since most average size horses weigh upwards of 1000 lbs. plus horse trailers are generally double axle and pretty heavy I would not attempt it. Also a horse can move around and jiggle a trailer pretty good. We towed ours with an F-150 and had no issues.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The Tow packages stuff had some problems at the beginning of the 2015 model year. :rolleyes:

The regular tow package was unavailable for a few months, and people who had it on order, where thrown over to the Max Tow package. Plus, some early 2015 window stickers incorrectly showed the 3.73 as part of the regular tow package (Jeep re-issued corrected stickers to dealers for those).

If you are unsure about your own JK, log onto the Jeep Owners website, and check your equipment list.
Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes sense, sort of. :) Nothing like Chrysler making it easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts