Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sandy took my Jeep.....

I spoke on the phone only with my adjuster and he told me they will be totaling the jeep. Now my dilemma, I most likely will not get the exact value of what I paid for the Rubicon, so if I were to get the exact same thing, Ill be paying a decent more out of pocket, which I dont wanna do. Or maybe get a lower model or maybe not the 4 door? Or was thinking of ditching the whole jeep idea all together and get something like the new Subaru BRZ... I know complete change. Im at a bit of a cross roads about what to do. I dont want to pay more money/extend my loan to get another rubi, though I really like it. Or just get the Sport S maybe? I might take this as an opportunity to get something different to save money in the long run.

Just looking for advice/what would you do?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can't wave to a Subaru. I mean you could, but they would probably think your nuts or stalking them. Which lead to a call to the cops, which lead to the cops tailing you, which could lead to a police chase, you wrecking the Subaru and ending up on the news and behind bars. I'd go with the Jeep.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Sorry about your Jeep.

Only you know what is best for you.

Best of luck....

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Wow, Sorry to hear about your Jeep. Obviously being new to the whole Jeep thing and being completely hooked, my snap opinion would be to bite the bullet and get yourself a Jeep again, but at the same time I am with everyone else on this one, realistically you need to be happy with your choice. Good Luck with all that you guys are going thru back east, our thoughts are with you!!

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Think the best thing right now is to wait and see what the insurance company is going to offer you first and then decide from there. Until you know what you're getting there is no real decision to be made. Sorry you lost your Jeep but if you and people you love are healthy all other things in the long run don't matter.

·
Registered
1979 CJ-7 Renegade
6,414 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Jeep :(

If it was me, I'd def be getting another Jeep, no question. But that's me. :) Maybe you should start by asking yourself why you had a Jeep in the first place, and go from there?

Did you offroad much (at all?) with your Rubi? If not, there is no reason to get another. You could save a bit of $$ by getting a Sport, whether it's 2-door or a JKU. A stock Sport can do quite a bit. Just depends on what you used your Jeep for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did u have gap? If so u should be able to walk away and owe 0. If not I would seriously consider getting a beater car until the residual is paid off then get another jeep

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all. Ive never done more than taking the jeep out on the beach. And all honest, after the storm, not exactly sure what the beaches are like now anyway, or if we are even allowed on them.

Kinda feeling the subaru actually. As much as I love the jeep, I just hated the lack of control from the auto, and I would not get a jeep in manual. I felt like it was constantly a gear too high and finding my self using the manumatic to get the gear i wanted.

I had far to much fun driving my previous car, (turbo SRT-4), being that I never go offroading (other than once the month beach during the warm weather), all honestly it was pointless for me to get the rubi, i just wanted the best of the best. I lost the having fun in driving with the auto in the jeep. Ill just wait to see what the insurance gives me then make my decision.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Think about it, but.... just know you will get that feeling that all you ever see when you drive is jeeps but only when your not driving one and then regret sets in... you owned a jeep, you know their solid. easy decision.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
if you never used your Rubicon like a Rubicon was intended to be used then you are crazy to get another, be honest with yourself and you will come to the right decision. The new subie BRZ would be a whole lot of fun.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Poor Jeep :nonono: That is a real bummer.

What could be any better than a summer day with the top and doors off on a Jeep and heading for the beach?

Can't do that with a Subaru. Well, I guess you could, but you would need to buy a sawsall and frankly Subarus look silly driving around with the doors off. Then when you get back from the beach you would have to weld the top back on which would require you to purchase a welder. Nope, Subaru just sounds like way too much trouble to me.

Wranglers look so good on the beach. Go to google and search for Jeep Wrangler beach pictures lots of them. If you search for Subaru beach pictures there are far fewer of those because they look silly on a beach. They look like they slid off the road or something.

Glad I could be of help. :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I traded in my first Jeep for a Pontiac G5, because I thought I needed something more wallet friendly and less gas hungry. I regretted it every day and counted down the time until I could get another one.

If you love the Jeep and you can afford it, then I would get another one. Otherwise, there's a high chance that you'll be miserable in whatever you replace it with. If you don't love the Jeep as much as you thought you would, then find something else. Subarus are great cars.

if you never used your Rubicon like a Rubicon was intended to be used then you are crazy to get another, be honest with yourself and you will come to the right decision.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did u have gap? If so u should be able to walk away and owe 0. If not I would seriously consider getting a beater car until the residual is paid off then get another jeep
I would definitely recommend gap insurance on what ever you get next. It is one of those things that people think what is the chances that something will happen in the next couple years while I'm paying it off. Of course no one ever thinks they are gonna get hit with a storm like that. Sorry to hear btw (I'm a Katrina survivor myself).

As far as a Jeep or something else, I would recommend something else if you aren't madly in love with the Jeep. From the first day I got mine, I decided I would never not have a Jeep again, if I didn't feel that way and was in your shoes, I would probably go elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you have to ask.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sorry brotha. Just think about the girl that got away. Fot what ever reason it was a good idea. But she was always in the back of your mind. then u see her again........ u know how it ends.. Good luck man....

·
Registered
936 Posts
I say buy something that's fun to drive and wallet friendly then use the leftover money to buy a nice used jeep. Btw, I love my 06 with a 6speed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts