Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. When I try to start it, the motor just spins the first time and usually the second. I do not have to turn the key off, simply disengage the stater. No later than third attempt it starts and runs fine. Crankshaft position sensor?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have you tried turning it of and on, but not starting it? If you try that and it starts right up it could be a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Fuel Pump ONLY PRIMES/PUMPS for a 2 second period each time the Ignition is turned to
the ON Position. To reach Pressure the system usually requires 6 seconds. Try an on and off sequence of → ON for two sec, then OFF, Back to ON for Two, Off one more time, THEN On --- Start. Bet that works for ya. I know-- a PAIN in the Hiniey for sure, but it's better than Cranking and Cranking with ALL the un-do wear and Tear on the Starter, not to mention the embarrassing LOOKS from people you get in the Mall Parking Lots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

I just replaced the fuel pump / pressure regulator. I start it by cranking it for a second, stop then crank it again. It doesn't matter if I turn the ignition off or not. It starts second or third time. Checked fuel pressure and it's fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
how long does it hold pressure? key on to see pressure then key off. let it sit and see if it holds pressure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel pressure

45 psi steady. Sometimes I have to "crank it" twice, never more than three. It makes no difference if I turn the key to the off position or leave "on" (gauges and warning lights on) I have to engage the starter 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you'll find that Starter engagement really has nothing to do with it. THAT ACTION
is the same as if you activate the Ign. ON & OFF 2 or 3 times WITHOUT engaging the
Starter. BUT that's OK ----- It is what it is, after all, My Sig says it all, WHAT DO I KNOW ¿

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, NH-JK. I've replaced all of those plus the idle air control and the throttle position sensor. Turning the key to on and back off doesn't help. You have to turn the key until the engine cranks, let off, (doesn't matter if you turn the key back to off) and repeat one or two more times. It always starts by the third attempt and then runs fine.

I have purchased a crankshaft position sensor to install. I will let you guys know if that works. Next I guess would be the camshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My jeep does the same thing! Once it's warm it starts fine but if it sits for a few hours it won't start unless you disengage the starter 2 or 3 times.
I replaced my injectors and no change.
Also when it's cold and finally starts it runs real rough for about 15-20 seconds like its missing and then just Clears up and runs fine. I sure would like to know what's causing it.....
Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
My jeep does the same thing! Once it's warm it starts fine but if it sits for a few hours it won't start unless you disengage the starter 2 or 3 times.
I replaced my injectors and no change.
Also when it's cold and finally starts it runs real rough for about 15-20 seconds like its missing and then just Clears up and runs fine. I sure would like to know what's causing it.....
Brian
Sounds like you problem might be in the fuel pump. There's a check ball in it that stops it from blessing off fuel pressure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like you problem might be in the fuel pump. There's a check ball in it that stops it from blessing off fuel pressure.
My father-in-law said the same thing. He suggested trying some fuel additive for the next 2 or3 tank fills and see if that unsticks it.
Does that sound like it would work? I kind of think it needs replacing but what the hell do I know....! :pcwhack:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think it will. it can't hurt to try
:). Mine has been this way for 2 years I just turn the key on and off 2 times and the third time to start it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to keep you guys updated. I can turn the key from off to "on" and back all I want and it doesn't help. It holds fuel pressure fine. I have to actually go from "on" to cranking it 2 or 3 times to start it.

I still haven't installed the crank position sensor. Will let you know if that helps. I have changed the fuel pump/pressure regulator and it did not help.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,766 Posts
I need a replacement fuel pump/FPR, please PM me let me know if you kept what you replaced since it sounds like they are good... if you're interested in getting rid of them that is.

·
Registered
540 Posts
clean your battery terminals. how old is your starter? maybe it is starting to go. and by that I mean it is wearing out and not quite getting enough electricity to it to do its job, or the parts don't want to fire off as well anymore.
If you changed your fuel sending unit, and all is well there, check your battery terminals and your starter next.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My jeep does the same thing! Once it's warm it starts fine but if it sits for a few hours it won't start unless you disengage the starter 2 or 3 times. I replaced my injectors and no change. Also when it's cold and finally starts it runs real rough for about 15-20 seconds like its missing and then just Clears up and runs fine. I sure would like to know what's causing it..... Brian
I have the same exact problem. If you ever find out what the problem is Let me know

1 - 20 of 37 Posts