Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research for an article. Here's the question:

Have you personally, or do you personally know someone who has, been in a significant frontal collision, side collision (t-bone), or rollover in a Jeep Wrangler (on or off road), AND, what were the restraint and safety systems in use?

Please indicate all that apply. My goal is to learn more about the restraint systems and how they come into play in an accident in the real world.

It'll also be interesting for others to see the raw info. Please do not provide opinion as to what is safe/not safe or links to other articles, stories, or posts about this topic. I don't want to clutter with stuff we can find everywhere else. What is hard to find, surprisingly, are actual stories of people who have been through an event.

1. On Road
2. Off-Road

3. Frontal collision (over 30 mph)
4. Rollover
5. Side collision

A. Factory Seat Belt (3-point harness)
B. 4 Point Harness
C. 5 Point Harness
D. 6 Point Harness

E. No supplemental roll cage or harness bar
F. Harness Bar
G. Supplemental (aftermarket Roll Cage (of any type)

H. Air bags deployed
I. Helmet in use
J. HANS device in use
K. Other stuff that's relevant (please explain).

I'd love to also hear your story (and frankly that's part of the point) and any details about injuries or noteworthy info.

Thanks!!! Hopefully people will help, otherwise this thread will just fade away... lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many years ago I was driving a friend's Jeep back from Arkansas in the winter, pulling a small trailer full of camping gear. Hit a patch of ice and the three of us rolled over in the ditch. The trailer did not roll, simply twisted the tongue 180 degrees. We were wearing regular lap belts. This was long before air bags or shoulder harnesses. I distinctly remember hanging upside down with gas dripping all over the back passengers. Also remember the stereo kept right on playing. Three people scrambled out FAST. No injuries at all to the humans. Jeep and Trailer were a mess.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many years ago I was driving a friend's Jeep back from Arkansas in the winter, pulling a small trailer full of camping gear. Hit a patch of ice and the three of us rolled over in the ditch. The trailer did not roll, simply twisted the tongue 180 degrees. We were wearing regular lap belts. This was long before air bags or shoulder harnesses. I distinctly remember hanging upside down with gas dripping all over the back passengers. Also remember the stereo kept right on playing. Three people scrambled out FAST. No injuries at all to the humans. Jeep and Trailer were a mess.
Thank you. Must have been a crazy day!

·
Registered
329 Posts
About 8 years ago myself and a couple friends were driving down an icy interstate. I was in my suv and my 2 friends were in a 98 TJ behind me. I hit an ice patch and slid a little. I looked in my mirrors and watched the Jeep slide and go into the median, roll over and stop on the roof. I stopped as fast as I could (without sliding off the road myself) and ran back to the Jeep. They were crawling out by the time I got there. No major injuries, just bruises. All stock equipment, no airbags deployed. Tranny fluid spilled out as it sat upside down. Deep snow seemed to cushion the Jeep as no major damage occurred.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
1st accident I was ever in was in a cj5 in 1982. I was a passenger and 14 years old. cousin was driving and 16. We were jacking around on a gravel road outside of Manteno IL and cousin thought it would be a good idea to drift a bit at 55mph. 1st time, just about went through a barbed wire fence into a field, 2nd time, sideswiped a huge cottonwood, not quite head on but a quartering shot. Rolled us onto the side. out of the 4 of us, the two in front got concussions, the two in back got bloody noses, and the cousin driving got an ass whipping..... We were lucky, no seatbelts, no major injuries. My brother picked glass out of his skull for about 6 months.

It was a Nice CJ, lifted, aftermarket wheels and tires, my uncles toy. Totalled.

SO...

On road
Frontal(mostly)..55 mph
no belts....it was the 80's....
Stock cj rollbar(just a rear hoop)
No supplemental restraints(full soft top was on though), thankfully, kept us in the cab. We all got out through the rear window. I had to shake a couple of the guys to get them to "wake up".

Still think about how lucky we were.

Crazy thing is a day later we were all in a camaro going 120 down a back road, which was paved at least, guess i didn't learn much.

I will say that I was scared of pulling any g's on mountain roads(lived in the black hills) for several years after that accident even though they were completely unrelated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts