Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, installing the Rock Hard 3/16 steel oil/tranny and transfer case skid on my 2016 JKUR Hard Rock. Having lots of fitment issues. I've watched every video out there plus viewed any thread I could find and they seem to go on a lot easier than they have been for me.

My transfer case skid hangs down a good 3" after tightening the rear two bolts and two of the 4 bolts that hold the skids to the cross member don't line up enough to get a bolt started. I'm using the provided spacer and my exhaust seems to be really close as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been fighting these for about 5 hours now. I've tried a variety of jacking one or the other or both skids, I've tried loosing already installed hardware. It's been a frustrating ordeal to say the least. This isn't my first time wrenching on stuff either.

Attached are a few pics to show what I have going on. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I had to grind down the lip on my transfer skid plate, since it fits above the Rock Hard and both bolt to the cross member.

I'm not sure why your transfer skid is 3" down... It should be exactly where it was when you started, and the Rock Hard bolts under (towards the ground).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Pictures would help. I installed all three Rock Hard skids in four hours, by myself. Everything fit perfectly. I just viewed the install video a few times and followed the printed instructions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to grind down the lip on my transfer skid plate, since it fits above the Rock Hard and both bolt to the cross member.

I'm not sure why your transfer skid is 3" down... It should be exactly where it was when you started, and the Rock Hard bolts under (towards the ground).
The transfer skid placement is my biggest concern. I imagine with this being out of whack it's causing the holes to not line up.

Pictures would help. I installed all three Rock Hard skids in four hours, by myself. Everything fit perfectly. I just viewed the install video a few times and followed the printed instructions.
I had pictures uploaded last night but seems like imugr isn't posting to this forum. I'll try to re-upload here with another site. I'm glad to hear yours fit perfectly, these aren't and reason for my post. I've viewed every video about 10 times each and checked out a few install post on forums.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Have you tried just starting all the bolts before tightening everything down?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I only have the engine skid, but remember from the install video that they want you to secure the front of the TC skid first before tightening down the rear bolts, because the rear bolts actually bend the skid up slightly (or maybe it's just one of the rear bolts that does this, don't quite remember). But they showed that you had to crank that bolt down and it progressively bent the skid (elastically) up. If you tightened the rear bolts first, maybe you're seeing the result of the lack of this bend pushing the front lower than it should be. This goes along with the advice above to first partially thread in all bolts, then I'd tighten the front along the crossmember, then finally tighten the rears.

But maybe you've already tried all of this and you're just having some other issue.

Edit to add the video from Rock Hard that covers this point:

https://youtu.be/ys80SCb6XmU?t=495

·
Registered
956 Posts
I installed their skid plates on my jeep about 4 years ago. Fitment was great, all the holes lined up. Used a motorcycle lift to hold them up. Removed them recently to get straightned out and reinstalled easily. I did buy longer bolts for the cross member to make installation easier.

Give RH people a call. Excellent customer service. Met the owner a few times (James in the videos), very nice and helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The transfer skid placement is my biggest concern. I imagine with this being out of whack it's causing the holes to not line up.

I had pictures uploaded last night but seems like imugr isn't posting to this forum. I'll try to re-upload here with another site. I'm glad to hear yours fit perfectly, these aren't and reason for my post. I've viewed every video about 10 times each and checked out a few install post on forums.
Here is an esxample photo...

First is before grinding, other is the post-grind

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
:beerdrinking:

I don't know what skid that is, but that is NOT a RH 4X4 skid plate. None of my skids look like that
That's the stock transfer skid plate.

It has "tabs" to protect the bolts.

Edit: just realized you got the RH transfer as well. Ignore me. Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What’s the status?
Is it possible that the crossmember has been banged out of shape on a rock prior to install?
Sorry for the late reply, I dont get on here often. I ended up having to run a second spacer from rock hard to get the skid lower than my exhaust and go purchase longer hardware to make everything work. Pretty frustrating to say the least. Spent way too long for something that is supposed to be a 'bolt on' install.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts