Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I went wheeling and hit the back end hard a couple of times. I caved in the tailpipe about 75% and noticed on the way home that I didn't have any power above 3000 RPMs. I cut the end of the tailpipe off and it still has no power above 3000RPMs. Yesterday while driving home the CEL came on. I hooked up my scanner and am getting the P0113 Air Temp Sens Voltage Hi error. I cleaned out the K&N air filter and it was about 50% covered in motor oil with enough in the air box to dirty 2 paper towels. This has been happening for a little while now. I cleared the codes and took it for a drive around the block and the CEL came on again and still not getting power. My thoughts are to get an oil catch can to keep the oil from getting to the air filter and to replace the air temp sensor. Is there something else I should do first or additionally? Also, I'm assuming the air temp sensor is the sensor on the air inlet tube going to the air box?

Also, does the Pentastar 3.6 have a PCV valve or not? I've checked several sites and some say yes and some say no. If it does then that would be one of the first things I'd look at.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not sure your rear end incident has anything to do with the oil in the airbox but I could be wrong. First off, the P0113 code is being thrown probably due to oil accumulating on your MAF sensor. Secondly, if you do indeed have oil blow by, then you need to get it addressed immediately or risk further engine damage. An oil catch can is merely a band aid in this scenario.

The PCV valve may very well be the culprit and needs to be replaced. Could be a plugged PCV or collapsing vacuum hose. The other cause could be worn piston rings.
Hopefully it's none of the above and you simply over oiled your K&N filter.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
First off there is no MAF sensor so you don't need to worry about that. But your crushed exhaust pipe is probably the root of the problem. By crushing the pipe you increased back pressure in the engine and the pressure escaped through the PVC and breather system.

There are 2 on the 3.6, one right after the intake box and another right after the throttle body. So if you have oil in the air box You are going to have oil every where else. The IAT sensor is right at the bend of the intake tube so I am guessing it is also covered. You can get some electrical contact cleaner and try to clean the sensor first,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts