Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this company's bumper they have great pricing but do not have any knowledge of there quality thanks for your help

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine (rear with tire carrier) is being delivered tomorrow. Probably won't install until this weekend, but I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at one of their stubby front bumpers, but I'm not seeing much info about them out there.
Im looking at one of there stubby front and rear with tire carrier but like you not finding much info on them hoping someone on this forum has some info on them

·
Registered
989 Posts
Received the bumper. Will open later tonight. Can tell you that it is large and heavy!

I think they are a relatively new company. The look of their bumpers is very nice and the prices are amazing if it is good quality. I'll know soon enough. I'll probably start pulling the old bumper off. That's about a 15 minute job since I've pulled it twice before to install and eventually replace a backup camera I have in the OEM bumper. Will probably mount camera on the hitch. Won't install the Havoc bumper until the cube lights come in on Friday, since they have to be installed in bumper prior to mounting bumper on Jeep. Will get all my wiring for lights routed to bumper between now and then (already have switches and relays in place, and wire pulled to rear of Jeep, just need to route it outside to bumper at this point). The only thing really keeping me from having this done tomorrow night is waiting for the lights to be delivered on Friday.

Will keep you posted and update when I open up the boxes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received the bumper. Will open later tonight. Can tell you that it is large and heavy!

I think they are a relatively new company. The look of their bumpers is very nice and the prices are amazing if it is good quality. I'll know soon enough. I'll probably start pulling the old bumper off. That's about a 15 minute job since I've pulled it twice before to install and eventually replace a backup camera I have in the OEM bumper. Will probably mount camera on the hitch. Won't install the Havoc bumper until the cube lights come in on Friday, since they have to be installed in bumper prior to mounting bumper on Jeep. Will get all my wiring for lights routed to bumper between now and then (already have switches and relays in place, and wire pulled to rear of Jeep, just need to route it outside to bumper at this point). The only thing really keeping me from having this done tomorrow night is waiting for the lights to be delivered on Friday.

Will keep you posted and update when I open up the boxes.

Cant wait to see it I hope everthing looks good the powder coating and qualiry of the bumper if so i will probably get one too thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just unpacked the main bumper. Extremely nice. Welds are great, lines are good. Cutouts for LED lights are equidistant and clean. Logo cutout is clean. Solid steel and a nice, even powder coating job. Had two nicks from shipping that I touched up (both very small, and if rust wouldn't present a problem, wouldn't have been worth bothering with). Nothing big or in a very conspicuous area, so I don't think it will be a big deal at all.

Haven't opened the box with carrier frame yet, but so far, I'm very impressed and happy that I took the chance with them (so far). We'll see how tight the install is and if the carrier fits and works as advertised. To this point, I'm encouraged that I got an excellent deal and am going to be very happy when all is said and done.

Some closeups of the welds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just unpacked the main bumper. Extremely nice. Welds are great, lines are good. Cutouts for LED lights are equidistant and clean. Logo cutout is clean. Solid steel and a nice, even powder coating job. Had two nicks from shipping that I touched up (both very small, and if rust wouldn't present a problem, wouldn't have been worth bothering with). Nothing big or in a very conspicuous area, so I don't think it will be a big deal at all.

Haven't opened the box with carrier frame yet, but so far, I'm very impressed and happy that I took the chance with them (so far). We'll see how tight the install is and if the carrier fits and works as advertised. To this point, I'm encouraged that I got an excellent deal and am going to be very happy when all is said and done.

Some closeups of the welds.

Sounds and looks good cant wait to see it together and on your ride

·
Registered
989 Posts
Took my time this weekend and got everything installed and wired.

First off, full disclosure, I don't have much of any exposure to any other aftermarket bumpers. I don't hang with a bunch of Jeepers that mod their rides, so I don't have a lot to compare to and can only share my observations on this bumper in a vacuum.

I'm extremely impressed overall with the quality, fit and finish of this bumper. It is rock solid and looks great. Like I mentioned earlier, the welds are much better than some of the Chinese knock-offs (including my front bumper). The finish is outstanding. Fit is perfect. Everything lines up very well. No drilling required. I would buy this thing again in a minute. Like most, without a lot out there on Havoc and for the price, it's easy to be hesitant or skeptical. I took a chance and have no doubt I made a good decision.

All that said, there are one or two things that I'll point out that weren't perfect along the way, but all minor and nothing much different than any aftermarket add-on you'll encounter.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The install was pretty simple. I will say that the directions were by no means terrible, but they weren't particularly great either. There is a great video that walks through a step by step install of the bumper and carrier on the Havoc website. If you buy and install this, I highly recommend watching the video before you begin, then watching each step as a refresher before you perform that step. I installed the entire thing solo, with the exception of lifting and bolting the bumper on the Jeep, where my son assisted for about 15-20 minutes. Other than that, it's easily a one man job.

A couple of things to note.

First, if you have the OEM hitch, as the directions and video show, you'll need to grind off the nuts welded on the backside of the hitch mount. Not a big deal. I used a roto-zip with the metal cutting wheel to do this, then gave the hitch a quick spray of Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner rattle can. Oddly, there is what I assume to be a support ring welded around the receiver. This serves to give some additional lateral support to the receiver. When I first installed the bumper, it wouldn't sit level. I found that the additional support around the receiver was preventing the bumper from getting level. This would have been a problem with the tire carrier, as it would have had the spindle angled toward the front of the Jeep.

The ring is welded on each side of the hitch and not the top and bottom, so I was able to cut the top off and remove just that quarter of the support. Rattle canned it with bed liner and reinstalled. After that, the bumper fit perfectly level. Below is a picture after cutting and you can see how close it sits and tell that it would have been resting on it before.

·
Registered
989 Posts
A couple of other things to point out.

First, the tailgate plate attaches directly to the rear and is essentially powder coated steel to paint contact. There were a few rough burrs from milling on the plate and I wasn't comfortable with a rough coated steel surface mating to a painted steel surface and creating a possibility to scratch and rust. I bought a roll of Husky Truck Box Liner which is basically a roll of thin rubber. Traced the plate on the liner, cut it out and installed it between the plate and tailgate like a gasket. Easy $15 insurance against scratching up the paint and possibly having a rust potential.

Husky 60 in. Truck Box Liner-TBLINER - The Home Depot

Second, A few of the threaded areas (and not threaded that I'll allude to next) were victims of a good powder coating and you'll need to be "firm" when threading in some of the bolts. Particularly in the bumpstop that you'll mount in the tailgate plate. Ironically, the bumpstop isn't mentioned in any of the print or video installation instructions. Not even listed in the parts (allen screw or the bumpstop itself) of the written instructions, but trust me, it needs to be installed. Fortunately, it's pretty simple to identify the bumpstop and the allen screw, however, because the powdercoat was making it difficult to get the screw started. I was hesitant to force it because I didn't want to crossthread myself into a problem, but once I made a few back and forth's with the screw and cleaned out the threads, it was an easy install.

Which leads me to the final challenge, the Heim Joint.

The instructions call to install the joint to the carrier side first, tighten, then install to the tailgate plate, test and tweak to the proper length, then tighten the tailgate plate side of the joint.

Unfortunately, the powdercoat on the tailgate plate area for the bolt made it such that the I had to hammer the bolt through with a 1 lb dead blow. The bolt on the carrier side would easily slide in and out (like shown on both sides in the installation video).

Because I wouldn't have any chance of hammering the bolt in and out with the carrier attached, I had to install and adjust opposite of the instructions by installing and tightening the Heim Joint to the tailgate plate, then repeatedly installing/tweaking on the tire carrier side. Because of how the joint connects on that side, it is extremely difficult to install all the washers and nuts and tighten. Nothing major, but a bit more difficult than if you are able to do it the way it's intended.

·
Registered
989 Posts
As advertised, it's not a full width rear, so there is a bit of a gap compared to what the plastic OEM shell covered. My next mod will likely be some aluminum fenders which should taper and make it seem less conspicuous. Here's a close-up shot of the gap.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Here's a shot after the final install. Everything wired. I did get an ebay LED brake light that installed behind the spare (installed it later and not in this picture). snipped off the OEM harness from the wired going to the 3rd brake light and wired to the new brake light. Very straightforward.

This bumper is well constructed and fits tight. No shake, rattles, squeaks from the tire carrier. Drove quite a bit this afternoon to give it a shakedown and it performed very well. Tailgate opens and closes easily (you do seem to lose about 15% of the full opening width, but that may be common to any carriers that attach and open with the tailgate, I just don't know).

Also worth noting that you can choose how high or low you want to mount the tire holder, so I gained probably 6"-8" of rear visibility as the spare sits lower than it did on the OEM carrier.

The bumper did come with a pair of 3/4" D-Ring Shackles. I hadn't put them on for the picture, but do have them. They appear to be zinc coated. Silver, not powdered or painted.

Also have the high-lift jack mount, but didn't install it yet because I don't have a high-lift jack. Will install the mount when I need it.

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.

·
Registered
467 Posts
nice write up and love the detail and photos!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey that was a great write up,so i think im going to get the stubby front and the rear too. Im just wondering if i might get the one without the tire carrier and go with teraflex body mount carrier because i will want the tailgate to open all the way for mounted stove,all though your way would be almost $400 cheaper so im torn. I was wondering could you mount that aluminum cap to tire carrier with the screw side facing the tailgate so no one would rip it off. 2nd just double making sure you say there was no rattling with the tire mount because that was another reason i was thinking about the teraflex body mount style.
Thanks a lot or your help

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey that was a great write up,so i think im going to get the stubby front and the rear too. Im just wondering if i might get the one without the tire carrier and go with teraflex body mount carrier because i will want the tailgate to open all the way for mounted stove,all though your way would be almost $400 cheaper so im torn. I was wondering could you mount that aluminum cap to tire carrier with the screw side facing the tailgate so no one would rip it off. 2nd just double making sure you say there was no rattling with the tire mount because that was another reason i was thinking about the teraflex body mount style.
Thanks a lot or your help
1. There is a threaded female where the cap mounts on the carrier that mates with the set screw on the aluminum cap (there are no threads in the cap itself), so no, you can't change the alignment unless you drill and tap your own female threads on the backside of the carrier). In the video install instructions, it suggests a coating of RTV inside the cap (which I did) to help seal it. That will also help secure it, but obviously that could also be peeled away, but it would take a bit more time than three twists with a philips head.

2. The tire carrier is rock solid in the way it's attached to the tailgate. When you install the Heim Joint, you adjust how tight the carrier is relative to the tailgate. You want it so that the tailgate begins to tighten up the last few inches before shutting the tailgate latched, but not too tight that it won't shut. This ensures the tire carrier is closely mated to the bumpstop. I didn't hear any rattling, squeaks, clunks, or anything that would make me think I had anything different from the OEM bumper and carrier installed. If full range of opening the tailgate is a need for you, then you may want to reach out to Havoc and ask them if what I'm experiencing is normal or if it should open 100% (and let me know). I may need to adjust mine, but I don't see any way that it would be possible to have the Heim joint adjusted for proper tension AND allow full range of the gate.

Of course, time will be the ultimate test if this holds up or develops any rattles, etc., and I won't know that for awhile.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nuke - thanks for the great review and write up (I work at Havoc).

I don't want to run afoul of the rules for commercial/vendor accounts so I'll keep it brief. We're really proud of our Gen 2 bumpers and I think the results show through in your post. Shoot me a PM with your address and size and I'll toss a t-shirt in the mail for you!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. There is a threaded female on the spindle that mates with the set screw on the aluminum cap (there are no threads in the cap itself), so no, you can't change the alignment unless you drill and tap your own female threads on the backside of the carrier). In the video install instructions, it suggests a coating of RTV inside the cap (which I did) to help seal it. That will also help secure it, but obviously that could also be peeled away, but it would take a bit more time than three twists with a philips head.

2. The tire carrier is rock solid in the way it's attached to the tailgate. When you install the Heim Joint, you adjust how tight the carrier is relative to the tailgate. You want it to begin to tighten up the last few inches before shutting the tailgate latched, but not too tight that it won't shut. This ensures the tire carrier is closely mated to the bumpstop. I didn't hear any rattling, squeaks, clunks, or anything that would make me think I had anything different from the OEM bumper and carrier installed. If full range of opening the tailgate is a need for you, then you may want to reach out to Havoc and ask them if what I'm experiencing is normal or if it should open 100% (and let me know). I may need to adjust mine, but I don't see any way that it would be possible to have the Heim joint adjusted for proper tension AND allow full motion of the gate.

Of course, time will be the ultimate test if this holds up or develops any rattles, etc., and I won't know that for awhile.
Thanks a lot for all the info it has been very helpful

1 - 20 of 167 Posts