Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Wrangler SE. All turn signals work properly, both sides. But when I test the hazard flashers the RF does not light up at all on the front or the side. But as stated the right turn signals do work, including these lights. I did install a new headlight switch but I don't know if this problem started then or before then. And I suspect that this vehicle was built after they started abandoning the round universal-fit flashers for vehicle-specific ones...otherwise I'd just try a swap. I always liked to put electronic flashers on my vehicles (when I still could), they almost never fail and you have no issues running LED lights.

Any suggestions before I tear into it? Sure wish I'd noticed this before I put the dash back together.:banghead:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad/dirty contact in the multifunction switch’s hazards switch. Sometimes you can work that switch on & off several (or more) times to get it working. If not you may need to replace the m-f switch (hazards are part of the main switch).

I think your 2000 has the switch that slides left/right. That one seems more prone to needing regular “exercising” to keep the contacts clean.

If you want to test the switch unplug the wiring harness from the switch & with the hazards switched on see if you have continuity between pins 1 & 4 on the switch.

For reference if the pins are not numbered pin 1 has the tan wire connecting to it & pin 4 has the pink wire. See wire connector side below to help find the pin locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep either snap the hazards on and off as hard and fast as you can a couple hundred times or buy a new switch

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. That jibes with what I expected might be the problem. Yes, the switch clicks to the left to turn on the hazards...having not encountered this before (and of course no owner's manual came with the Jeep), it took me a bit to figure it out. Since the turn signals do work properly and we don't (yet at least) have annual inspections here, I'll probably leave it for this winter. Just trying to get the little critter on the road before we run out of summer at this point...I've done pretty well over the years judging what used vehicle could be wrung out for a few more years without a huge repair investment. But I truly missed the mark with this one...I should have documented everything I've found and fixed and put it in a thread in the build section.:censored:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well "vigorously operating" the flasher switch caused the problem to move around but finally they all came on. This worked for 3 cycles, then the LR wasn't working.

Definitely a new multifunction switch happening sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Now if I can just stay ahead of the rest of the gremlins...:doh2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts