Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions here. Got an Odyssey battery on the way. I don't run a bunch of lights, stock stereo, and don't plan on doing heavy winching. Is the Odyssey battery with OEM alternator sufficient? Or is upgrading the alternator worthwhile in addition to the battery? TIA

·
Registered
971 Posts
No reason to upgrade as the standard alternator will handle your application just fine. As for the Odyssey battery it requires no more power to maintain than any flooded or AGM battery, All the battery does is start the engine or provide power when engine is off or ruining to slow for the alternator to pick up the load. As for winching you would be better served with a battery that has fewer cranking amps and more reserve capacity.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason to upgrade as the standard alternator will handle your application just fine. As for the Odyssey battery it requires no more power to maintain than any flooded or AGM battery, All the battery does is start the engine or provide power when engine is off or ruining to slow for the alternator to pick up the load. As for winching you would be better served with a battery that has fewer cranking amps and more reserve capacity.
Appreciate it. That was my thought but wanted opinions. I rarely run anything with the engine shut off, but was curious if the hd alternator would take the load off the battery and electrical system and avoid other potential problems.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The stock alternator is pretty strong, from my sample of one, and you rarely read of failures. I certainly didn't consider upgrading when I bought my Odyssey, and it's been fine. I put the battery on an Odyssey charger occasionally in the winter, when the jeeps sits for long periods, but that's it.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPI Wrangler

·
Registered
299 Posts
Out of curiosity, what aftermarket options are there for installing a heavier duty alternator in a Wrangler?

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
Mean Green and Tuff Stuff both make larger alternators, 200 amp, 250 amp vs the 160 amp stock version. Those are just the 2 I know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the replies. Looks like I will stick with OEM alternator and free up the funds for other upgrades. Thanks again.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I did a bunch of research on this and just went stock when it was all said and done. Turns out my low voltage reading on my gauge was due to a faulty battery connection. 99% sure the old alternator was ok. If not needing to replace just stick with what you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts