Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am thinking about attempting to replace my head gasket on my own! I have done the thermastat and water pump but that is ye extent of my auto mechanics! Think I can do it? How hard is it?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It's pretty straightforward. The hardest part for me was reaching all the manifold bolts. A little patience and a couple of different length extensions and I got it done, though. Take your time and label everything if you need to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why are you replacing it? Mine has a minor oil leak that has been bugging me and I have been putting off replacing it as it looks challenging!

Keep us posted

·
Registered
70 Posts
The main thing is to properly torque the head bolts and in the proper sequence so as to not warp the head when it heats up and cools down.Remember to adjust the torque setting when using extensions so you get the proper torque.Also its best to have a friend help as the head is heavy.Use oem head gaskets if possable ,I have always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got it done(just under 13 hrs) it was running fine and then going up this dirt road(old stage rd, Colorado springs,CO) it started over heating... It's not circulating water! I bipassed the heater core, there is no thermostat and the water pump is about a month old! Any other ideas why this is happening

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got to do mine but avoiding it like the plague

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Recommend checking your radiator. Get it pressure tested to see if its clogged and do a flush. Make sure the outer fins are not bent and wash off /remove any debris. I would also replace the radiator cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts