Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Jeepers! Well the time has come, my 93 YJ started pissing the other day. I have no water in my oil but the old girl has sprung a leak somewhere on the driver side above the exhaust manifold. I put a new water pump in hoping the water was just running down the block but of course that was too simple and call me crazy but too FUN! :whistling: It is still leaking. The old man came out and told me to open the radiator and start the joker, the radiator started bubbling, he closed the hood and said head gasket! I just wanted to get you guy's opinion on the situation at hand here! I really never found exactly where the leak was coming from but it is in that general vicinity.

1993 YJ 2.5L

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it seems as though it is the head gasket! I'm going to replace it as well as the intake and exhaust manifold gasket, and most likely on the valves as well. I bought the felpro head gasket kit and it has all the gaskets so I'm going to go ahead and do them. Has anyone done this on a YJ? If so what are some tips? Any advice will help me at this point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah he tends to know what he's talking about! He drove a truck cross country for 30+ years and there were times where there were no mechanics near by. So he is pretty handy with a wrench!

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you are going to do that it would be wise to use new head bolts.old ones can streach when torqued.if it were mine I'd have the head checked for cracks and warpeage...russ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you sir! Didn't know about the bolts but I am going to get it milled and checked for sure it only costs me forty bucks! Ill order the bolts as well. My main question is when I bust the valve cover off do I just pull the push rods out, take the head bolts out and then just pick the head off without issues? Then, when I go to reassemble will I have to adjust anything or should it be all correct as long as I don't remove the distributor?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got some good news today! The cylinder head was not cracked but warped. They are resurfacing it now should be done in a few minutes. Trouble shall live again!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it all back together! I gained a lot horsepower and a little knowledge as well! It runs like a top! Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I have a small water leak coming from the driver side of the jeep! I wouldn't even call it a leak more like a seeping or so! Is there anyway the head bolts could have loosened?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
there are one or two head bolts that go into the water jacket and require sealant on the threads, maybe they are leaking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sealant on the threads? are they on the side with the intake manifold? thanks for the quick response roadyrob! i didn't put any sealant on any of the head bolts and like i said it is a very small leak that may be it!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
did a quick search and its #11 that gets sealer, thats the manifold side front bolt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! That seems like exactly where it is coming from as well!!! Thank you so much man I'll try it this weekend and let you know the results.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
40 bucks to resurface the head! 40 bucks for the gasket kit! New thermostat, new hoses I have about 200 or so in it! As well as a couple of days work!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts