Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like no matter what direction i look in all i see are head rests. (i have JKU ) its especially bad for me when backing up. visibility just sucks...or maybe its because i'm short, IDK...
i am thinking i might remove them all and wondering if anyone else has done this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am sure that you have noticed that you cant just punch in a tab and pull off your rear headrests without having 2 bars stick up from the seat back but you have a few options when it comes to your rear headrests and getting them out of sight. I am sure there is a thread that goes into all the different ways to keep them out of the way but I can give a quick list. I definitely remember reading a thread a few months ago with detailed info on all the different ways to get them gone. it might have been on jeepforum though.

1. pop the spring that pulls the headrest back to the upright position when seat back is up.(again, searching for the other threads will have detailed info on this) and then you can just pull the strap to lower the seat and it will unlock the headrest and you fold it back and put the seat back up and the headrests stay layed back and out of the way of vision but may be in the way of cargo but are readily available should you want to have them there for rear seat passengers.

2. bassically same as option 1 but you just use a bungee cord and wrap it around the headrest and attach to child seat anchors and it keeps them down and out of sight.

3. this is the more perminant option (and the one I did)
pull off the headrests and then pull up the seat fabric (all the way up) and you can pull the foam out a little to see the 2 bolts that hold the headrest mechanism in place and you can take out those 2 bolts and un-hook the cable that goes to it and pull the whole thing out so you dont have the 2 bars sticking out of your seats. then just pull the seat fabric back over and tuck it all back together and your done. no more rear headrests in the way. I REALLY like this option because they are never in the way now. but I also dont have many passengers in my jeep very often to have a need for rear headrests.

Fun photo with no head rests on the back seats:) (hehe, I just like showing pics of pumkin)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Have you flipped your rearview mirror?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Why's the roof still on?

Cause I didnt feel like messing with the hard top for just a day worth of topless driving. The doors will be going back on tomorrow cause cold temps supposed to be coming in again on saturday. Really just took the doors off for the pics and just to do it. this is the first time they have been off.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Cause I didnt feel like messing with the hard top for just a day worth of topless driving. The doors will be going back on tomorrow cause cold temps supposed to be coming in again on saturday. Really just took the doors off for the pics and just to do it. this is the first time they have been off.
What about once you had the doors off? Was there an atavistic desire to roll sans roof? Of course there was. Of course. Same satisfaction you get when you eat something you killed with a spear.

Don't tell me you gazed upon your doorless, covered Jeep and thought, "Man. Glad there's a roof on it."

BTW...put some white lithium grease on the hinges before you put the doors back on, so next time you take em off they'll cooperate. Enjoy. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
What about once you had the doors off? Was there an atavistic desire to roll sans roof? Of course there was. Of course. Same satisfaction you get when you eat something you killed with a spear.

Don't tell me you gazed upon your doorless, covered Jeep and thought, "Man. Glad there's a roof on it."

BTW...put some white lithium grease on the hinges before you put the doors back on, so next time you take em off they'll cooperate. Enjoy. :D

Oh, yes, definitely WANT to take the top off. but with no readily available help and only for a day........

thanks for the tip/reminder about the grease, been meaning to go pick some up for the screw in knobby things on the freedom top panels to make them turn a little easier and keep from squeelin.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
:thumb:

Forgot to mention...sweet looking Jeep.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sure that you have noticed that you cant just punch in a tab and pull off your rear headrests without having 2 bars stick up from the seat back but you have a few options when it comes to your rear headrests and getting them out of sight. I am sure there is a thread that goes into all the different ways to keep them out of the way but I can give a quick list. I definitely remember reading a thread a few months ago with detailed info on all the different ways to get them gone. it might have been on jeepforum though.

1. pop the spring that pulls the headrest back to the upright position when seat back is up.(again, searching for the other threads will have detailed info on this) and then you can just pull the strap to lower the seat and it will unlock the headrest and you fold it back and put the seat back up and the headrests stay layed back and out of the way of vision but may be in the way of cargo but are readily available should you want to have them there for rear seat passengers.

2. bassically same as option 1 but you just use a bungee cord and wrap it around the headrest and attach to child seat anchors and it keeps them down and out of sight.

3. this is the more perminant option (and the one I did)
pull off the headrests and then pull up the seat fabric (all the way up) and you can pull the foam out a little to see the 2 bolts that hold the headrest mechanism in place and you can take out those 2 bolts and un-hook the cable that goes to it and pull the whole thing out so you dont have the 2 bars sticking out of your seats. then just pull the seat fabric back over and tuck it all back together and your done. no more rear headrests in the way. I REALLY like this option because they are never in the way now. but I also dont have many passengers in my jeep very often to have a need for rear headrests.

Fun photo with no head rests on the back seats:) (hehe, I just like showing pics of pumkin)
nice jeep:)

thank you for the great advice. ( i forgot about the bars ) i have wet okloe set covers on the front and back and that includes the head rests, so the tops might look a little funny but that's okay.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, yes, definitely WANT to take the top off. but with no readily available help and only for a day........

thanks for the tip/reminder about the grease, been meaning to go pick some up for the screw in knobby things on the freedom top panels to make them turn a little easier and keep from squeelin.

i can take mine off with no help at all. we were avid sailors and have a bunch of sailing hardware lying around so my husband rigged up a pulley system in the garage, like the one sold by harken on quadratec. love it.

but then again you might not have garage space and it's definitely a two person job.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Doesn't anyone use their side mirrors to back up?

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
My headrests are on the floor. I have a hell of a time using the mirrors to back up, Its taking forever to get used to the short body.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Damn sounds like the Unlimited has painful rear headrests. The 2 door's rears simply pull straight out, bars and all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't anyone use their side mirrors to back up?
of course :) but the way people drive anymore, even in parking lots, you have to look everywhere for vehicles ( and pedestrians ) who seem to appear out of nowhere because they think everything is race. nothing irks me more than people who drive in parking lots like they are on the road. its called defensive driving. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts