Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 wrangler I am replacing my engine with a new 2.5 and I also need to do headers cuz I have a crack in my intake and exhaust manifold. Does anybody know of headers that will fit my jeep I'm having a hard time finding any

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ok so just a question why are you replacing with a 2.5l

It is not a bad engine per se bit certainly not the most powerful?

Is this a daily driver mall cruiser look purty up in your 4wd?

Sorry the last sentence was third beer talk

Chief

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense taken haha and no I am a broke college kid and my engine completely crapped out on me so I need to get it up and running again I mean I'd love to put a bigger engine in so I can have more power especially since i have a 4" lift and 33s but my financial situation right now won't allow me to do it

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not sure what else is involved with an upgrade/swap, but the 4.0 block can't be that much more than a 2.5.

Again tho... I don't know what else you'd have to upgrade.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what else is involved with an upgrade/swap, but the 4.0 block can't be that much more than a 2.5.

Again tho... I don't know what else you'd have to upgrade.
Well from what I've heard on here I'd have to switch the trans and ecu and stuff like that

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You might want to post on here your vehicle info there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and people can steer you in the right and most economical direction if you have already spent the money it is a mute point.

But if you have not give us details as much as you know and we can ask questions for the rest!

Good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to post on here your vehicle info there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and people can steer you in the right and most economical direction if you have already spent the money it is a mute point.

But if you have not give us details as much as you know and we can ask questions for the rest!

Good luck
It's a 1989 yj 2.5l engine with a 5 speed manual trans

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, your right... Trans. You prolly have the AX5 and you'd have to go to the AX15.

Your right... The costs start to add up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, your right... Trans. You prolly have the AX5 and you'd have to go to the AX15.

Your right... The costs start to add up.
Exactly really I just want to get it running right again It's not good right now I'm leakin a quart of oil a week and I can't go faster than like 55 mph and then I start smoking everywhere and I have a leak and crack in my exhaust and intake manifold gaskets

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Borla on my 4.0, it did make a differance but they are not cheap and I'm not sure how much you'll feel with the 2.5.
Borla Performance Industries High-Quality Austenitic Stainless Steel Exhaust Header (87-91 Wrangler YJ w/2.5L) 17061 - Free Shipping over $75!
Ya I saw those on another website and that's why I wanted to see if anyone knew of any others because they are so expensive...also when I talked to the guy on the phone from the company he wasn't sure if I was aloud to use the borla in California because it might not pass emissions does any one know anything about this

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I know they are legal on the 4.0 because I'm in Cali and just passed mine. Did you talk to Borla or a reseller? Borla can tell you if it's CARB approved, it will have a metal tab on the header for the inspector to see.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know they are legal on the 4.0 because I'm in Cali and just passed mine. Did you talk to Borla or a reseller? Borla can tell you if it's CARB approved, it will have a metal tab on the header for the inspector to see.
What about the fuel injection 2.5 because that's what I have and I wasn't able to talk to borla they had closed before I got a chance to call them

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have the pacesetter header and love it. Just passed SMOG in SoCal just this April. Also my Jeep sat for 9 yrs before it went through SMOG.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts