Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my jeep isn't sounding that good right now. i'm thinking it may be the headers. it's a 99 4.0, and from what i've read in the past the headers tend to leak. question one: how do i find out if the header is leaking. question two: is there that much of a difference between stainless steel and just steel headers besides weight?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
when it comes to headers i would spend the 50-100 extra bucks to get stainless. Steel will rust in just few hours while stainless will stay looking new for quite long. The more they stay new the better you are not running into problems.

As finding the leak goes one. Open the hood and try to listen for some what loud banging/crankling. Usually the clanking will be slow paste. 1 every 2 crankshaft revolutions.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not really clanking. it just seems to be louder then before. i thought at first it was the muffler, so i switched that but the problems remains. wouldn't it be hissing or something rather then clanking. it also seems to be a little more noticable when i first start the jeep in the mornings.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
AD, are you still running the stock manifold? If so then check the tube where all of the tubes come together (The Collector), this is where the manifolds are notorious for cracking. If so just replace with one that has the expansion joints. Headers don't provide enough of a benefit to how much they cost.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup, still got the stock manifold. so would i be replacing the collector or the manifold?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
the whole thing actually, the collector is where the 2 parts of the manifold come together and join up the the rest of the exhuast system.

That is the location of the collector.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
isn't that a header?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
both are - 2 diff versions. bottom is a solid stainless steel, and top one has flex pipes built in at cyls 1 and 6. Reason for the flex pipes is to reduce stress on the rest of the header to reduce or remove the risk of cracking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts