Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after about a year of being flashed I went to adjust my headlights and found that the PO had stripped out every Torx screw on both sides. "Thanks Jackass!" So, Grabbed the vice grips and got two of them out, but broke the adjuster seat (Outside ring that light sits in). Gonna hunt down a new one, 55055032 if anyone needs the part number, but was wondering if anyone had seen a options for a bolt head instead of torx or phillips screws. If so could you link it to this post. Any other options would be outstanding as well. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
sorry i went to a junkyard and pulled the whole assembly out when i stripped my bolts. cost 20 bucks but i got the spare headlight also.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least when you stripped yours out, you went and replaced it.. Oh well it's just the joys of owning a used Jeep. Just aggravated because what should have been a 10 min job tops now has me running around with one headlight and the Yards aren't open because it was Veterans Day... But now it's evening got some friends over, so do a little beer drinkin' sit back and shoot the breeze and worry about it all tomorrow. Still, would 10x rather have a 6 or 8 mm bolt head on those things instead of Torx..

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you find a passenger side one id be willing to buy it from you. None of the junkyards around here have any tjs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you find a passenger side one id be willing to buy it from you. None of the junkyards around here have any tjs.

No problem.. planning on hitting the yards in search of a TJ tomorrow. I'll definitely take a look around for ya.

And yes, the 10min to 2 day quick job is probably my area of expertise. My wife loves me so much for it too, let me tell ya!

·
Registered
392 Posts
My passenger side has a broken tab so the headlight moves. Driver side has 1 stripped screw lol.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One of mine was broken when I got it. I upgraded my headlights to some Cibies' and replaced the mount then with a Rugged Ridge branded one. It was 1/2 what the dealer wanted. No yards have Jeeps around here either it seems!
It seems to be fine so far, no rattles, seems sturdy enough. I coated the adjusters etc before I put it on (loosened them out, sprayed, put back in) with Corrosion Free spray to hopefully keep it adjustable too :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I also broke one of the plastic adjusters. Somehow I managed to secure it with a plastic coated twist-tie... it held securely enough that it still allowed the screw to adjust the headlight.

Two years later, the headlight is still adjusted and holding, not loose at all... :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well after a whole day (Yesterday) of searching for TJ's around Southeast Kansas and 3 yards in Joplin I've found nothing, but a buddy of mine told me to call another yard and they have a 2004 and 2005 TJ here. The guy on the phone said that they have already been picked through, but welcomed me to head out and see if I could find what I was looking for. It's a 20min drive so I'm headed out there pretty quick. If there's some good stuff, I'll let you guys know.

Other than that I found this Online
http://www.4ws.com/12402-04-headlamp-asm-rh-tj.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Just got back from the Yard. Both the 04 and 05 are pretty well cleaned out. The body damage was pretty extensive on both vehicles and but they do have two parted out JK Rubi's that still have engines and drivetrain in them, both with front and back D44's and 4:10 gears if anyone is looking to go that way. As for my part search, I just ordered the LH and RH from the link above. 3 to 6 business day shipping cost me 18 bucks so I guess that's that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts