Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed JK Speaker headlights--like them, but they need horizontal adjustment. That is doable with a wrench and the headlight out, but you can't tweak them. I ordered additional adjustment screws, but I can't get any of the plastic bucket mounting points to detach from the screws/mounts (I tried prying, I tried a heat gun, etc.). I didn't break anything, but it seems to me that it would be easiest to just yank the existing bucket out (breaking it, no doubt), then change out the horizontal adjuster screw, then snap in a new bucket.

But, I've heard that these (from the dealer) are sold as a larger assembly of more parts and they are therefore more expensive. Does anyone have: 1) a method to get the tabs on this plastic bucket to detach from the screws/mounts, or 2) a reasonably priced source for new buckets?

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
remove the bucket by turning the 2 studs (15mm wrench) and the adjuster screw (torx) a little at a time until they are fully screwed out and the bucket just falls out. take a deep well socket stick it over the threaded part of the stud turn it upside down on the floor and place something on the front side of the stud that is going to be the horiz adjustment one the one opposite the verticle adj(I used a small piece of rod stock but screw driver would work) give it a rap with a hammer and they pop right out. pop the new threaded adjustment screw in its place and put back on.
there is a great write up on removing them already on this site just search horizontal adjustment LED or something like that.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jadmt. I was being lazy and also cautious (I'm still a little worried about breaking one even after I carefully remove it the way you detailed). But I'll give it a whirl.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
just back them out 1/8" move to the next and you wont break it. A stubby 15mm open end wrench works best for the two studs. they are coarser threads so unthread pretty fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts