Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 that I purchased brand new at the time.

I immediately changed the headlights to Daniel Stern Cibie H4s.

One of his bulbs burned out this past December.

I am not sure which of brand of his bulbs I have but I am pretty confident they are 60/55W.

I went to Auto Zone for a relplacement bult and purchased a Sylvania Xtravision 9003 that is compatible with H4. Halogen 12.8V 55/60W.

2 weeks later the replacement Sylvania bulb burned out.

Might I have an issue with the headlight ?

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
I have a 2015 that I purchased brand new at the time.

I immediately changed the headlights to Daniel Stern Cibie H4s.

One of his bulbs burned out this past December.

I am not sure which of brand of his bulbs I have but I am pretty confident they are 60/55W.

I went to Auto Zone for a relplacement bult and purchased a Sylvania Xtravision 9003 that is compatible with H4. Halogen 12.8V 55/60W.

2 weeks later the replacement Sylvania bulb burned out.

Might I have an issue with the headlight ?
It could be an issue with the headlight, most likely an issue with the power or ground connection. Or it could be just bad luck with the Sylvania bulb. I have had issues with those bulbs in the past. It seems their quest to achieve brighter halogen bulbs has lead to issues with bulb life span in my experience.

Did the new headlights come with any sort of wiring harness to eliminate the PWM functionality of the stock system? That PWM functionality increases longevity at the cost of brightness.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Sylvania ultra bulbs are not known for there longevity. Keep it simple try another bulb first. if that pops then you might have a problem. Also check the adapter harness I have had problems with China built wiring.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I am running Hella 90-130's in my Cibie's and they lasted 2-3 years. Unfortunately they both popped on the same day as I was heading home from work and I did not have spares. Luckily the fogs gave me enough light to make it to the parts store for replacements.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Those bulbs are all incandescent bulbs. One of the characteristics of an incandescent bulb is that it not only wears over time, it can go at any time. While I have had house incandescent bulbs blow on the first time I have turned them on, I only had it happen once on an H4 bulb. When I had the Hella H4 housings in my TJ (and 2015 JKU) I ran Osram Nitebreaker bulbs. (They were not one of the ones that blew, that was a Hella bulb that came with the housings).

While the PWM modulation will not cause flicker in an incandescent bulb it will increase the wear on the element over a non PWM circuit (like those in the older vehicles).

·
Registered
314 Posts
When I purchased my Cibie E-code H4 Housings from Daniel Stern, he also provided Osram Rallye 70/65W +50% bulbs (PN 64205). The VOSLA H4 12v, 60/55W, +100% is also a good choice.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Stern likes osram I believe, did you touch the bulbs with your bare hands or get some oil on them? "contaminated" You will get less lifespan with that harness and certain bulbs, but only two weeks is not normal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts