Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Wrangler jk unlimited and the stock headlight globes on it are terrible, any suggestions on which led globes to upgrade to, preferably would like to purchase on eBay

·
Registered
301 Posts
This was done a few years ago, but is still the best & most informative comparison I have seen. He made a rig that is the same height & spacing as JK headlights, & measured the light at various positions & distances to get an objective reading of how effective various configs were at putting light on the road.

Forget about LED globes in the existing reflectors. The light will almost certainly be poorly focused & create a lot of glare for other drivers, wile not adequately illuminating the road for you. This is because the existing reflectors are designed for light coming from a filament, but an LED 'globe' produced light from a patch.

Headlight Shootout!

·
Registered
8,910 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
X2 on the Pro-Comps - I've had them almost a year now and have been very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Best right now is from @Quadratec ---- custom made by JW Speaker
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-wrangler-jk

They have a few other choices that are solid performers also.
And there are no drop-in LEDs or HIDs for the OE lamps that are legal or safe.

Headlights are important. Like brakes, airbags, etc.
I wouldn't trust my life to ebay....
How do you think the projectors compare to the regular quadratec LED headlights (it looks like they are 'gen II' now)?

At nearly double the price, are they that might brighter or have a more even light pattern?

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
How do you think the projectors compare to the regular quadratec LED headlights (it looks like they are 'gen II' now)?

At nearly double the price, are they that might brighter or have a more even light pattern?
Those linked Q-tecs are made by JW Speaker and are heated ---- no snow build-up.
I've measured the output and pattern of Speaker lights and they're fantastic.

I haven't measured the Q-tec reflector lights but I have tinkered with Trucklites and Petersons; JWS outperforms them. JWS made in America; the Q-tec made in Taiwan (if I remember right). Not a bad light, just second string. The ad copy for them needs work though.

If they want to send me a set, I'd put them in a friend's Jeep and test/compare. I'd be curious about the objective output of the heated lamps compared to the prototype 8700-Js that I'm still running....

@Quadratec will probably chime in soon.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Two drastically different products- Gen I & II were made for Quadratec by Grote. The latest version was made for Quadratec by JW Speaker, an OEM version of their "dual burn" J2 lights.

The Quadratec Gen I&II are good mid-tier lights, while the newer version are good top-tier lights. Both will be an upgrade from the stock Jeep halogens, with price reflecting performance improvements.

Edit: D'oh! What Hilldweller said.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Our Gen I & Gen II lights are not from Grote or Maxxima. They are directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan who most likely makes them for the other brands as well. We had the manufacturer build them to our specs.

Thanks!

-Rick
....interesting....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Our Gen I & Gen II lights are not from Grote or Maxxima. They are directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan who most likely makes them for the other brands as well. We had the manufacturer build them to our specs.

Thanks!

-Rick
Good to know :thumb:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a Wrangler jk unlimited and the stock headlight globes on it are terrible, any suggestions on which led globes to upgrade to, preferably would like to purchase on eBay
I'm not clear if you are thinking of just replacing the halogen bulbs on your rig with replacement Halogen or LED bulbs, or replacing the whole headlight assemblies. Your subject line says "bulbs", but your discussion says "globes".

I have experimented with nearly everything. First I tried Cibie 082440 Headlight Units with higher-wattage halogen bulbs. Very satisfactory light output with a nice clean cutoff line. But because of the extra power they took I needed to beef up the factory headlight wiring harness. I rewired with heavier gauge wire, and powered the the headlights directly from the battery - this also eliminated the headlight power being Pulse Width Modulated (PWM), which causes flicker in LED lights. I really liked the Cibie units, but after burning out a couple of bulbs within a few months I decided to experiment further.

Next I tried LED bulbs in place of the halogen bulbs - these bulbs fit in place of the factory halogen bulbs in the factory headlight housings. Performance was certainly better than the factory lights but the light pattern was not perfect (they had an OK cutoff line and didn't blind oncoming traffic, but there were some dark spots in the light pattern).

Then I bought a set of Truck Light LED headlight units - I had really bad luck with them (both failed within a few months, and left me on a country road on a dark rainy night with no lights - very scary).

Finally I bit the bullet and bought a set of JW Speaker LED headlight units. After some ordering issues (they sent the wrong product initially) I finally got them and installed them. I've been running them for a couple of years now and although they were expensive, I am very pleased with their performance. Since I had already improved the headlight wiring to eliminate the PWM power, I did not have to worry about LED headlight flicker.

Now days the Speaker lights have come down in price a fair amount, plus there are some decent Speaker LED clones out there that get pretty good reviews and cost significantly less. If I was doing it over, I would have researched some of the higher quality clone units.

There are some forum threads that talk about some of the clones. Also, Amazon is a good source of info - I'd say consider only units that have a high number of positive customer reviews.

Quick summary: for the best light pattern and performance, go with quality LED headlight assemblies.

One other point. To get the max performance out of the lights they need to be properly aligned. US Wrangle models have a vertical adjustment screw, but no horizontal adjustment screw (but export Wrangler models have horizontal adjustment screws). I found that my Speaker headlights were slightly cross-eyed. There are some youtube videos showing how to add horizontal adjustment screws (the parts only cost about 6 bucks from the dealer). After making slight horizontal adjustments, my light pattern is excellent.

Good luck...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the Quadratec Gen II last year. An amazing improvement over stock. But if I lived further North, I could see where I would spend the extra money for the new heated product. I just picked up a second Jeep so will most likely be adding another set of the Gen II in the next week or two. Only thing I will do different this time is order the extra adjustment screw. I still have a slight hot spot on my last install. So I'll probably order screws for both Jeeps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
another vote for the Quadratec II. i read a lot of the threads on this forum before buying trying to learn the differences and have been very pleased with the improvement over stock in the almost two years i have had them. i also put in led fog lights at the same time just had to order the bracket for the hard rock bumper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts