Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Wrangler and I've had this issue for a while now.. Whenever I drive (not every time) with my lights on (ie. At night) my headlights will just turn off. My driving lights stay on like the bulbs in the break lights and the turn indicators stay illuminated but my head lights are just off. This first happened about a year into me owning the jeep (2 years ago) and it scared the shit out of me. I took it in to a shop and told them what had happened and they could not find any issues with wiring (don't know how accurate that is now) and couldn't help. So I shrugged it off and hoping it was a one time thing, it didn't happen again for a while and then it happened again (in order for me to fix this issue I would have to pull over and then off my jeep and keep trying to turn the lights on until they would come back on, usually 2-3 minutes). Then it stopped for a very long time so I figured it was temporary but until recently it started again. It happens almost every time I drive now and I reverently installed long range KC lights in the bottom corners of my windshield so if it did happen I would turn them on and continue driving until the lights would work again (I know this isn't smart). I'm wondering if anyone has any clue what could be wrong or has had a similar experience. Anything helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
bad switch.

the headlight switch has a circuit breaker in it. After a while they start doing exactly what yours is doing now. It takes about three to five minutes to cool back down and then it makes contact and works again. This is on the switch so you don't burn the wires up in the headlights. Change the headlight switch and if it does it again check your wiring to the headlights. I had a bulb on my ole car hauler that would ground itself and make the switch do just this. Took me a year to find it. Great Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At first it only occurred when I would flip my high beams on.. Which is why I bought the long range KC lights and then it started to do it when low beams were on as well. Thanks for the feed back. I'll see what works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts