Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my headlights were working fine yesterday. This morning I go to turn on the jeep, and nothing. Halfway through the day, while wheeling, I noticed I could get my highs to turn on. Also, if I had the lights set to off, the headlights came on; when I set to DRL mode they came on as well, however if I set the switch to on, they would turn off. Blinkers work, Orange running lights work. Only new recent change is installing a CB radio. A few hours later, and I can only get the high beams to turn on, no sign of the headlights. I do have the H4 conversion kit from rallylights.com. Before I start removing everything, is there any obvious solution or thing to check? Seems crazy that the lights would just go like that, so I assumed a fuse, but I can't seem to find one anywhere, so my next thought is a logic board or computer problem. I do also have an AEV procal, but I already attempted to reset the computer with it.

oh, and the jeep is brand new. less then 6k miles on it

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
If you have the Rallylights kit, it has relays and relays are either on or off. DRLs are partial power.
First, disable the DRL.
Next, listen for the relays closing when you power the lights; you should hear a "snick" each time.
The Procal shouldn't mess with headlight function but you might've buggered something with your CB install.
What did you tap for power?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tapped the battery for power; I hear the click from the relays. I wound up pulling the H4's last night, I believe the issue is the lowbeams burnt out. I don't know how I got them to work partway through the day though, and I don't understand how I would lose the lows without burning a fuse. Kinda disappointed with busting 2 bulbs so soon; hoping it's that somehow when I was wiring up the CB I shorted something; however the lights were working even after I had the CB all done, so I really don't know what to think.

I'm going to give rallylights a call, just to see about some sort of warranty on the bulbs, otherwise I have to get some replacement bulbs; I'm open to suggestions (i was using the phillips x-tremes that you can upgrade too with the kit)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
You might've shorted something for a second during your install; it would be odd to blow both lowbeams at the same time.
See what Ray at rallylights says though.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I just gave him a call. He said he has heard of JK's having problems with the alternator and having too wide of a range of voltage, causing the low beams to being prone to getting burnt out with his relay. He's going to see about getting me a fix. Great info, sounds like he thinks its more of a battery issue than anything. I'll keep the post updated when I hear back

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
good to know, i have to get rid of my IPF,, they suck,,, right now im just looking at round H-4,,

·
Registered
247 Posts
good to know, i have to get rid of my IPF,, they suck,,, right now im just looking at round H-4,,
You don't like you IPF H-4's? What bulbs are you using, I have IPF Fatboy Max White bulbs and have been generally happy with them; not as awesome as the HID's in my other ride, but way brighter than the junk reflectors my jeep came with.

·
10,296 Posts
You don't like you IPF H-4's? What bulbs are you using, I have IPF Fatboy Max White bulbs and have been generally happy with them; not as awesome as the HID's in my other ride, but way brighter than the junk reflectors my jeep came with.
better than stock yes,, but after 3 months now they suck and they fill with water..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ew fill with water, boo I would be upset too. I have had mine in for about a year and haven't noticed any moisture inside the lenses, but I'll start checking now.

·
10,296 Posts
Ew fill with water, boo I would be upset too. I have had mine in for about a year and haven't noticed any moisture inside the lenses, but I'll start checking now.
not moisture,, water as in fill with,,,,:facepalm:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Trying to sound as friendly as I can, not piss anybody off, and give some info...

IPF H4 reflectors aren't tested and assayed by IPF to meet any regulations, ECE or DOT; they're illegal to use on almost every public road in the world.
I've tested them and their photometry is miserable; that's why IPF doesn't certify them. They put a little "E" in a circle on them to try and look like an ECE stamp; that's sneaky, false, a lie...
The FatBoy bulbs are also a sham. They move the filament a bit and cause the reflectors to project a different ball of light in even worse focus. The bulbs themselves are also illegal and don't work well ---- halogen bulbs are improved by tighter/better filaments in smaller capsules, not larger.

Most retailers of these IPF "kits" don't know any better. They're fooled by the marketing too and think they're selling something decent.
They're not.

·
10,296 Posts
so bill, post a link to what i should spent my money on, before i waste it again

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I knew the IPF lights were illegal, but if I took off all the things not DOT approved off my other car I don't think it would run properly; that's the only advantage to living in Maryland, no annual vehicle inspections. I got the fatboy bulbs as a gift so for a free to me piece of equipment I don't mind them, I just needed to get rid of the terrible H13's. When I burn out a bulb I'll have to look into some quality H4 bulbs to replace them. And why would anyone get pissed at you HD, you're the most knowledgable person about lighting I've never met, lol.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I'm using the rally lights kit. I love the lights, I feel like I could see reflectors on route 2 (heading to wachusett) literally from bend to bend, over a 1/4 mile away. and the cutoff on them is amazing, I love that wicked crystal clear line they make. Lights were the one thing I wanted to get perfect on my jeep because the stockers were so bad; i just wish I could get something nearly as nice for my wifes scion, as its lights are just god awful.

so yeah, I'm plugging rally lights, even if my bulbs did die a mysterious death :thumb:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
The IPF lights spill gobs of light up in the air and don't do a good job of getting the light off to the sides. They blind oncoming drivers and the owner as well; I never tested anything worse...

And the wonderful cut-off on all the ECE H4 reflectors is good and bad.
The good is that it won't blind oncoming traffic. The bad is that it cuts off a significant amount of the H4's potential light...

You can't have everthing.

I do piss off a few though. Some people want HID conversions to be legal so bad that they believe they are legal, won't listen to the truth, get all psycho about it. Same with IPF ---- they get personal over it because their favorite vendor sells them or something.
Then there's Delta, RoundEyes, etc. Nobody wants their sacred cows messed with.

·
Registered
651 Posts
yeah I just gave him a call. He said he has heard of JK's having problems with the alternator and having too wide of a range of voltage, causing the low beams to being prone to getting burnt out with his relay. He's going to see about getting me a fix. Great info, sounds like he thinks its more of a battery issue than anything. I'll keep the post updated when I hear back
I have run both the Osram 70/65's and the Phillips XP's, both sets blew the low beams in 3-4 months....(within a few minutes of each other)

Now I keep spares, the light that I have is worth replacing the bulbs, IMO...

·
Registered
247 Posts
The IPF lights spill gobs of light up in the air and don't do a good job of getting the light off to the sides. They blind oncoming drivers and the owner as well
Now that you mention it I did have to crank my headlights way down reaiming them after I put in the lenses, nobody flashes me so I don't believe I'm blinding anyone. When I get some additional funds that I'm not saving for new wheels/tires, bumbers, winch and all the other goodies I drool over I am probably going to end up replacing the headlamps with a Hella kit from Rally Lights. Are the Hella H4 bulbs good as well, I figure I would just pay a little extra and get one of the better sets they offered from the link you posted.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts