Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had JW speaker headlights for about a year now. When I put them in, I never used dielectric grease. Over the last month, the passenger side headlight has been going out intermittently. Sometimes I can move the harness and it will turn back on, but eventually this stops working. At that point, I have to take the grille off, unplug the harness, and plug it back in. I tried switching the headlights with each other, and the problem still occurs on the passengers side. I used contact cleaner on both sides of the harness. My guess is that harness on the Jeep is the issue but I doubt Jeep will fix that under warranty as I unplugged the stock headlights hence a "modification". Has anyone experienced similar issues or know what to do next?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's also only the low beam the goes out. The high beam always works, even if the low beam is out. I'm avoiding having to hardwire the connection.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have you tried putting the good (driver's side) headlight into the faulty harness?

- If this works fine >> your issue is jeep (passenger) harness. Repair/replace.
- If this fails >> send JW headlight back for warranty replacement.

I have not heard of this issue before, and have experienced zero issues since replacing mine a year ago w/out dielectric grease.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried putting the good (driver's side) headlight into the faulty harness?
Yep, and the issue persisted on the same side of the Jeep. It took just about a year for this to happen. I'm also in the northeast and corrosion happens fast with all the salt. I might just put terminals on both the light and Jeep and connect it that way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
@BlackRubiHR - Your profile says its a 2016. Why not take it in for service and have them replace the cable for free? I know my dealer (Southampton, NY) sells the JW Evo2's and wouldn't hassle about them being non-stock lights...maybe a dealer will look past, acknowledge the issue and replace cable for you?

I'm also in Northeast, and drive mine regularly on the beach (including in the surf/wet sand) and no corrosion issues. I'd hope a dealer fix would be a permanent solution for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2014 my power steering reservoir was cracked and leaking it was replaced under warranty but the fluid had caused the headlight plug to fail. I baught a 5.00 jeep side harness and replaced it no problems since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts