Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out tonight that my passenger low-beam is out. I'm going to investigate further tomorrow, but if it needs replaced i'm going to consider upgrading for better visibility. Anyone have any suggestions for budget-friendly headlight replacements?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Sylvania siverstars are the best stock upgrades. Your opening a door for a lot of "for $100 you can get these h4 housings) which are great. I own some. Cheapest upgrade that actually was an upgrade silverstars. Don't buy cool blue they are stupid and suck. Tried them.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Sylvania siverstars are the best stock upgrades. Your opening a door for a lot of "for $100 you can get these h4 housings) which are great. I own some. Cheapest upgrade that actually was an upgrade silverstars. Don't buy cool blue they are stupid and suck. Tried them.
I agree. Do the H4 upgrade

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I went all out with the Trucklites. Wow, the difference is night an day. No pun intended.

I got tired of the crappy lighting the OEM gave, and I ponied up the coin for the lights. I got a decent enough price on them from my local 4wheelparts store, and have no regrets (well except for waiting so long to do it)

I will also admit, I did not try the Silver Stars nor any others, I just went straight for the best I could buy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
NCBear how much did you pay for your trucklites? I've never seen them advertised for less than around $400 for a pair.

I think I paid less than $100 for a set of Hella H4's with bulbs and I've been very pleased with the results. Pun intended, night and day over the OEM sealed beams.

Never understood why but older Chryslers always seem to have dim headlights.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
IIRC, it was about 180ish a piece. To be honest, I can't remember as I bought about 1500 worth that trip between the Rock Hard cage, lights and other nick knack's. Jeep funds are depleted again, so I am saving yet again for new bumpers and fenders.....ha it never ever ends......

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
E code H4 and a relay headlight wire controlled to send power directly to bulbs

Bonus is minimal current headlight switch makes it last forever

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E code H4 and a relay headlight wire controlled to send power directly to bulbs

Bonus is minimal current headlight switch makes it last forever
Never done any wiring; have a write-up on installing that relay? I'd like to get my feet wet with wiring, and this seems like a simple way to get into it.

Also; i'm thinking about throwing in a pair of euro guards with my headlights. Anyone know if they obstruct or alter your lighting? I'll forgo them if they do.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put these on about 2 months ago. At the time they were $79.99 & free shipping on Amazon. All in all, I'm pleased. Not a huge upgrade over stock but they are brighter than stock, still legal, and the price was right.

Rampage 5089925 Halogen Conversion Headlight Kit by Rampage Amazon.com: Rampage 5089925 Halogen Conversion Headlight Kit: Automotive
Yeah it might be an important time to bring up that my rig is also my DD, so i'll have to keep it DOT approved. Thanks for reminding me, i had the Hella ECE in my cart without even looking if they were DOT approved.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yeah it might be an important time to bring up that my rig is also my DD, so i'll have to keep it DOT approved. Thanks for reminding me, i had the Hella ECE in my cart without even looking if they were DOT approved.
I DD with them. Adjusted properly they are better than the Hella DOT approved vision plus versions. I don't know of anyone that will ever look at my headlights to make sure there's a DOT approval on them. You have LEO's like that there?

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Truck Lights are the way to go if you don't drive in the snow. They don't get hot enough to melt the snow off of them. They plug right in and use less power. Being LEDs they should last a long long time also. I got mine for about $150.

Mark

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Many people find the light from LED headlights problematic with decreased visibility independent of the not hot enough to melt snow issue while others find them great so if at all possible try driving at night with truck lights LED and one with H4s before you spend on the LED I found E codes with H4 better and cheeper

·
Registered
180 Posts
Truck Lights are the way to go if you don't drive in the snow. They don't get hot enough to melt the snow off of them. They plug right in and use less power. Being LEDs they should last a long long time also. I got mine for about $150. Mark
Where did you find them for $150?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Bang for buck it's hard to beat a H4 upgrade. Something to consider is how much you actually drive at night. I rarely ever drive at night, while LEDs would be nice I couldn't justify the cost. One of my lights burned out recently, for a bit over $100 I got Cibie E-Codes and stock wattage bulbs from Amazon. The change in pattern alone is worth it, they seem brighter but I haven't done anything with the wiring yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I paid about $100 for my H4 upgrade. KC makes a kit that looked pretty good, so I bought that. Very happy with that choice thus far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts