Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
I've been running led cubes for back up lights. I have them tied into the reverse circuit instead of a switch. Recently I had one burn out cause every time I go past reverse they turn on. Like going from park to drive. I want them to only work when I'm in reverse and my headlights are on. There's no point in them turning on in the day time and I just don't want a switch. Is there a way to wire them to where either the power or ground is cut while the headlights are off? I'll add a 3rd regular light on the reverse circuit just to stay legal, so no worries. Any knowledge?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
A relay is nothing more than a remotely controllable electric switch. Providing 12 volts to the relay energizes its internal switch. The LED lights would be powered through the relay's internal switch, and the relay would be energized/powered by 12 volts from the head light circuit.

HOWEVER, good quality LED lights should not burn out by what is burning yours out... passing through Reverse every time you shift between Park & Drive. So instead of going to the trouble of wiring in a relay to prevent that from happening, I would simply swap in a different brand of LED backup light. I am running LED backup lights (Savvy Offroad's LED tail lights) now and I ran ORO LED tail lights and backup lights before them with no problem.

I'd dump the brand of LED lights you're running now, they should not be burning out from merely shifting though Reverse.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A relay is nothing more than a remotely controllable electric switch. Providing 12 volts to the relay energizes its internal switch. The LED lights would be powered through the relay's internal switch, and the relay would be energized/powered by 12 volts from the head light circuit.

HOWEVER, good quality LED lights should not burn out by what is burning yours out... passing through Reverse every time you shift between Park & Drive. So instead of going to the trouble of wiring in a relay to prevent that from happening, I would simply swap in a different brand of LED backup light. I am running LED backup lights (Savvy Offroad's LED tail lights) now and I ran ORO LED tail lights and backup lights before them with no problem.

I'd dump the brand of LED lights you're running now, they should not be burning out from merely shifting though Reverse.
I have a lifetime warranty on my leds so I'm not really worried, it may of just been a bad one cause the rest are fine. So what you're saying is I can use power from the headlights to switch on the power from my reverse circuit. So generally speaking I just put power in one relay end from the headlights, then cut the reverse power line and attach both ends to the relay, then theres probably a ground on the relay.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
If you think you may have just had one bad LED, I would definitely not bother trying to figure out how to get a relay working. Adding unnecessary complexity to a normally simple circuit is never a good idea.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you want to make them only come on in reverse with the headlights on, a relay is what you need; any standard SPDT automotive relay will work fine. Wire it up like this:
85 - Headlight positive wire
86 - Ground
87 - Reverse light positive wire
87A - No connection
30 - Output to your LED lights

This will only allow the LED's to come on in reverse if the headlights are on.

I agree with Jerry, though, they should not be burning out from going through Reverse often... there is something else going on there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to bring this back up. I did go thorough with it though.

ForumRunner_20140811_164059.jpg

I did bolt lights on regular reverse just to avoid trouble if I ever backed into someone during the day.
I got the relay to work too.
Now I wanna complicate it a little more and am having trouble haha.
I wanna have the relay come on with both high and low beams.
When I switched it on high I burned a headlight fuse.
Any suggestions?

Sorry if the pic is crooked, on my mobile.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Wire the relay trigger to you parking lights instead.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
It depends on where your relay is. You could also use your taillights also.

Easiest Parking light wire to find is right at the light itself. Otherwise get a schematic that will list the color code off the multifunction switch.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on where your relay is. You could also use your taillights also.

Easiest Parking light wire to find is right at the light itself. Otherwise get a schematic that will list the color code off the multifunction switch.
Like the tag light wire? That'd work! Thank you so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts