Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night when I parked my yj that after running my headlights for over an hour my headlight switch was almost hot to the touch .. Is this normal or do I have excessive resistance through the switch ? As easy as just buying a new one ?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Probably time for a new switch, if it gets to hot it will automatically turn your headlights off... Can't imagine that would have a good outcome.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Are you running higher than the factory 55/60 watt bulbs?
The best fix is retrofitting a plug and play relay harness. Cheap on amazon and boosts the power to the lights by eliminating all of the power from having to flow through the switch

·
Registered
321 Posts
The best fix is retrofitting a plug and play relay harness. Cheap on amazon and boosts the power to the lights by eliminating all of the power from having to flow through the switch

Does this harness utilize the stock switch or can you use a rocker? Do you have a link to the product?

·
Registered
459 Posts

Link for this one ???

Thanks !!!!!!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You could make one yourself if you're good with wiring. Just some good wire, relay(s) and fuse(s), crimp connectors, heat shrink, and wiring loom.

Here is a link to a writeup on relays and how to brighten lights.

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
Morris has a kit for $215.00. I am sure you can find a kit for less.

You can make your own relay harness for only a few dollars. The relays (2) are available at Radio Shack. Radio Shack no longer has many retail stores, so if you want to build your own, try Radio Shack online. You have to search for the sockets that the relays plug onto. After that all you need is 12ga. red wire for power and 14ga. green and 14ga. white for wires from to the relays to the headlamps. I didn't have any 14ga. black wire for the grounds, so I used a doubled up 16ga. Make certain to clean the areas on the back of the grill panel where the grounds attach and put a inline fuse in the red wire. It isn't terribly complicated if you plan ahead.

After I went through all the brain damage of making my own homemade headlamp relay harness, I found one already assembled for way less than $215.00 online. If you can find the cheaper harness, that is what I would recommend if you don't want to hassle with homemade wires.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts