Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time around, I want to do it right. On my 97 TJ I did the H4 / E code upgrade and did not have my 2012 JK long enough for upgrades. Now my JKU is new and I can tell, as a DD I need an immediate headlight upgrade. I have spent hours on here trying to do my homework and know from Hilldweller's many post that the best upgrade right now is LED with the JW Speaker 8700 J being about the best. I am relocating to Pittsburgh soon and an a little concerned with some of the comments about snow build up. I have found some comments about issues and some not having issues. I am looking for advice on the matter from someone with experience with LEDs in the snow. Will the 8700 J series lights perform properly or should I go with the heated Truck-Lite LEDs and deal with the associated issues I have read about. Or would the third option of doing another H4 / E Class upgrade be the best route? I know anything is better than stock. Thanks for your advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
2-20 minute trips in the wet snow and you can see the build up forming, but not building up past the lit portions of the light. They work for my needs, but will it work for yours? The lights are JWS Evo Js.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I will have between a 20-40 minute commute without the snow depending on where we find a place to move. I would guess that your drive and the snow was enough to build up more if it was going to.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Yeah, that's my opinion. If there was that much buildup, it would have covered the whole light if it was going to. If you want to take the extra precautions, get the heated Truck-Lites.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
The JWS's will ice over. I don't care if mine do but they do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The speakers will build up with snow. The falling snow will start to get brighter as the light distorts due to the snow build up. Eventually, it will completely cover the lens. I just installed the heated trucklites today because of this. I will say the evo j's are brighter, but the trucklights have a wider pattern. We get snow, at times, a good amount. We had a mild winter this year though, but the few times I had snow, it covered the evo's.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Due to the fact that LEDs do not produce heat to the lens, a non-heated lens will build up. This is the non-heated TLs

We have had 3 storms since I switched to the Heated versions and not a single issue yet. The grill and other parts have been covered like in the above pic, the TL-H did have a small amount of build up on the bottom. Looks like the build up would slide down the lens like a back window with a rear window defroster. The only thing I dislike about them is the X pattern. I have the horizontal adjusters but havent installed them yet. But they light up the area like crazy, I don't even turn on the fogs anymore.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have the Morimoto Sealed7 HID projectors in mine, with the XB LED fogs. I have the 50W HID ballasts, so they generate a bit more heat than the typical 35W setup, but still not enough.

The LED fog lights get completely covered in snow, and they stay covered- to the point that they're completely useless. The LED headlights would be completely useless if you're in an area that regularly gets snow.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The LED headlights would be completely useless if you're in an area that regularly gets snow.
The TLs are the only heated ones that I know of and they worked just fine. 14" of snow was the worst of the 3 storms we had started off wet then went to dry snow.

Pulling the bosses Ram out of the ditch

Close up

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can't see with stock headlights anyway...if they are covered in snow I can still see just the same. As long as the cops see I am driving with headlights I am good. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. Looks like I will be ordering the headed TLs in a few days after I have time to shop for the best deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I road tested my new Truck-lite heated LEDs in the storm that just came through Michigan. I also have JW Speaker fog lights.

In 20 minutes driving in very heavy wet snow, the fog lights were completely covered over. The heated Truck-lites were completely free of snow and ice.

The lighting is very good, and very wide. The crossover point between the two beams makes a noticeable X pattern two to three car lengths ahead of the jeep, but it is not annoying, just there. All in all I am glad that I went for the heated lights over the JW Speakers more uniform light pattern.

FYI, Northridge 4x4 has a bundle price on these that includes the anti-flicker harness that you will want.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As you mentioned the third option, I have the Cibbie H4 halogen lamp housings and Philips Extreme bulbs and the improvement over stock is tremendous and no concerns of icing over. I am currently just using the adapter harness but if I needed more light I would go to the full relay harness. Just another option for you.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
There's also no snow anywhere else on your Jeep. :whistling:
I guess the post was misleading, the snow pic was the aftermate after the snowfall and the 50mph winds aftermath. The close up was the day that I out them one. It was to show the elements in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts