Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased my first jeep 2 days ago, a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. So far I really like it except coming from a car with HID's I need something brighter. Has anyone done a HID upgrade to their Jeep or does anyone know of a good kit? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I bought my 04 with delta headlights. They are not hid but work pretty good.

·
Registered
543 Posts
See the thread krutj posted. Lot's of great info and all is current. I don't think your question is answered though. I don't think hid is the way to go but have a look and see what ya think.

I vote for the paging hilldweller thread to be made a sticky.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Right now there's only one HID "kit" that's legal and works well enough to be worth installing. And they're very very expensive.
If you truly like the light from HID, and some people do, then I think it's worth the cost.
They're made by Slyvania/Valeo and look like bug eyes.

You can find them here or Google a little harder than I did...

Boring Hilldweller insights.
HID is bright but produces a light that has lots of peaks and valleys of light wavelengths. The light is "blue" looking as a result and makes color rendering difficult or vague ---- one of the keys of effective seeing. But the color spectrum lends itself to better peripheral vision and it's at least twice as bright as halogen, even after compensating for various losses ----- so you might just see that deer before it jumps in front of you.
Or, otoh, they might mess with your pupil response rate.

I'm pretty sure the JKs will be offered with HID or LED in the future. I'd upgrade the halogen and wait...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
No offense, but I can't stand people who drive with HIDS. They are blinding and obnoxious. They are incredibly distracting to other drivers. It's not even the brightness all the time, it's the color as well. I don't mean to be rude, but I know people share the same opinion.

Just please take other drivers into consideration when making driving light choices on your jeep.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi all, I just purchased my first jeep 2 days ago, a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. So far I really like it except coming from a car with HID's I need something brighter. Has anyone done a HID upgrade to their Jeep or does anyone know of a good kit? Thanks.
Look at houseofhid.com. Fair price and easy to install. Mine makes a HUGE
difference.
:punk:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i'm not looking to blind people but I do need something brighter. Any thought on what bulbs to get that are brighter then the one it has?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No offense, but I can't stand people who drive with HIDS. They are blinding and obnoxious. They are incredibly distracting to other drivers. It's not even the brightness all the time, it's the color as well. I don't mean to be rude, but I know people share the same opinion.

Just please take other drivers into consideration when making driving light choices on your jeep.

No offense taken. I'm 42 years old and my eyes just are not what they used to be.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Stick with what Hilldweller recommends and you can't go wrong. I replaced my stock Phillips bulbs in my 10 Rubi as soon as I got it with Phillips + 80's (as per Hilldweller) and they're great. I just did a swap out without a seperate wiring harness and they are a lot better. In my area there are a lot of hills, winding roads with no street lights, and I never felt that the lighting, low and high beams, was not adequate. If you run a harness from ralley lights, even better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Delta Halogen

Honestly I haven't purchased these yet, but they are in my near future wish list Delta Halogen's. Off Quadratec.com, hope this helps!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly I haven't purchased these yet, but they are in my near future wish list Delta Halogen's. Off Quadratec.com, hope this helps!

Those really look like they would fit the bill so to speak. I will have to order after Christmas.

I did do a search but I guess i didn't use the correct term to bring up the results I was looking for. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I'm really not a ball-breaker by nature and I hate that I'm perceived as such.
But you can do so much better than a Delta retrofit by just replacing the stock bulbs and putting a harness on the stock reflector.
Take a good look at the link that J Westy referenced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a set of Phillips + 80's locally which never happens for me but I can say is this maybe all I need for the headlights (for now). Thanks for all the reply's.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got a set of Phillips + 80's locally which never happens for me but I can say is this maybe all I need for the headlights (for now). Thanks for all the reply's.

What store did you find them at?

·
Registered
543 Posts
You will find very few people will suggest HID for headlights around here. Good thing to. There are better options for legality and other reasons.

I played around with hid upgrades in a few vehicles. They are great when they come from the factory with the right housings but if not it is very expensive to upgrade them properly and safely. Not to mention the canbus nightmares. In my 98 ram the install was easy and they cast light ok but I had no highbeams. In my 05 ram they were downright crappy. I swapped them out for a lower temp set so at least the color was right. I also added the highbeam option. They still had canbus issues though. Never again. Aftermarket hid driving lights only for me.

Check out the "paging hilldweller" thread. I posted pictures of my upgraded headlights. You can go with better housings than I did but these are great for the money. Around $260 total cost for a major upgrade with zero canbus issues. That includes new hella e-code housings, a beefy upgraded plug and play wiring harness and philips xtreme power bulbs. You will love it I'm sure. Like I said there are pics in the above mentioned thread so you can see how far your money can go. I have become obsessed with lighting and after all the roads I have been down in that field I am impressed with what I have right now. I'm just gonna go overboard as usual and add a bunch more. I want to be seen from space( offroad only).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts