Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping to find some answers to this very strange issues I've been having.. 2015 jeep willys with 35k miles.
It's intermittent and I cant seem to duplicate it.. It just happens when it wants to. Sometimes the headlights come on with the switch off no matter if the jeep is running or just in accessory mode. If you turn the jeep off, the headlight go off. Sometimes the fog light knob when pulled will cycle the wipers on the lowest delay setting even with the wipers off. Sometimes the fog and or headlights go on and off like i'm flashing even though I'm not.. This can happen If I'm driving or not.. I tried to duplicate the issues by wiggling the clusters, under dash wires, knocking on the fuse box. Nothing seems to duplicate or help.. What helps most often is turning the jeep off and on a bunch of times while turning the wiper knob or the headlight knob. Could be just a coincidence.
I have no mods on the jeep and never take it off road.
I put in a brand new battery and made sure the battery ground was tight..

Its only with the headlights, fogs and wipers.
this has been happening for some time now and its becoming worse.. I feel it happens more often in cold / wet weather.
Sounds like a ground to me but I have no idea where!
Any ideas?

Thank you for all your time!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Look up clock spring issue. Do you have steering wheel controls? do they work correctly?

·
Registered
15,695 Posts
Nope welcome to world of can bus headlights are not controlled by switch

The switch just sends a digital signal the TIPM or FCM turns lights on that way all the interior switches just send digital signals with no direct wires to items they control

Sucks but that is the can bus world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check your battery connections. Clean and tighten. Make sure battery is good (4+ years old it could be suspect). See if that solves the issue - easy and free if it works. A lot of CAN/BUS issues can manifest just because of dirty or poor battery connections or a battery starting to go bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked up Clock Spring, but the issues happen no matter if I'm driving or not.
I bought a new battery and made sure connections were clean and tight. No deal on the fix.. I read somewhere, to check the ground wire coming from the battery to the body.. Somewhere between the batt and TIPM.. Also, to take off all TIPM connections, spray with electronic contact spray and reconnect. I did a visual inspection and it all looks ok..
As I was parked with the jeep running this evening, all the same ghost issues were happening.. I messed around with each control stalk and noticed the wiper stalk was flickering the fog lights on and off. I don't know if that's the issue or not and so see why the wiper stalk would manipulate the fog lights and headlights. I was able to get the jeep home with no light issues and only the wipers were on with the switch off.. In the driveway, I messed with the wiper stalk again, kind of slightly twisting and bending the stalk which I was able to duplicate the fog light, head light , wiper issues most of the time.. Then sometimes I couldn't duplicate it.. ANYWAY.......I unplugged the wiper stalk and just plugged it back in and it seems to be ok for the moment.. Now I cannot duplicate the issues.. I have no idea if that was the issue at hand or just a coincidence. I'll know more tomorrow on my way to work.. I said before that i noticed the issues happening during cold / wet weather.. Sort of makes sense since you use the wiper stalk more in the rain or snow..
What do you all think and how / why the heck would the wiper stalk control the lights?

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Digger84.. Thanks for this info! So the multi function switch (wiper stalk) is part of the Steering Control Module which monitors the switch position and communicates that position to the Cluster which then the cluster communicates that position to the TIPM over the CAN link. So what you are saying is its possible for a bad wiper stalk (multi function switch) to cause more issues than just wiper issues?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
More than likely. I would start by replacing it. When it goes bad all sorts of weird things can start happening. You can get one for about $50 and it's a few Torx and phillips screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This morning there was no ghosting with the wipers and lights. I dont know if unplugging and plugging the stalk did anything or what... I'm becoming more confident that its the wiper stalk from everyone's comments and with me duplicating the issues by bending the stalk where the delayed wiper ring is..

I had NO idea about the CANBUS or what that even was until you guys mentioned it and after I looked it up.
Makes complete sense that a switch connected to a wireless module can cause havoc.. When I was unplugging the wiper stalk, the other end of the small wire harness was plugged into the headlight/fog light stalk.. Soooooo in theory, the either stalk can manipulate either stalk, like what Digger was mentioning..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts