Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while driving I had my brights on for only a few minutes when without a warning the headlights shut off completely. I dimmed the lights, shut off the lights completely, and tried after a minute to turn the lights back on. The lights didn't turn on, but after a few more minutes of waiting they turned on finally. It's almost a's if my headlights overheated and needed to cool down before they'd come back on.

I've tried new headlights and they still do it. I have some of the Sylvania replacement lights in currently and I can't figure out what would be causing my bright lights to stop working while driving.

Anyone else ever run into this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The other day my lights went off. I turned them off and immediately back on and they lit back up. Didn't need any cooling off period though, they came right back on. It was scary though because we were on a back road and it was really dark. I'd like an answer to this too!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dash mounted headlight switch is likely the issue. Very common.

Also the lights are grounded by two sheetmetal screws that are just beside the radiator. Clean the connections here also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jsawduste said:
The dash mounted headlight switch is likely the issue. Very common.

Also the lights are grounded by two sheetmetal screws that are just beside the radiator. Clean the connections here also.
Thanks, I'll check for that first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, I'll check for that first thing in the morning.
You can get a new switch (looks like the OEM switch) at most any auto parts store.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...h-BWD_3992187-P_408_R|GRPSESWAMS_536917201___

I`ve gone through two of them in the last couple of years.

The problem is that Jeep has full current for the lights going through the switch. Changed to a relay to control the lights. Now the switch only see`s an amp or so instead of 15 +/- amps as wired from the factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check the screws by the radiator and replace the switch.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would put money on the headlight switch going bad.
I pulled mine apart when that happened and cleaned off all the
contacts and it has been work with no problems for a year and i leave my headlight on high almost all the time.
yes you can buy a new switch from the parts store for fairly cheap but i am the type of guy who loves to fix everything so i can see if i can make the part better.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You can get a new switch (looks like the OEM switch) at most any auto parts store.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Headlight-Switch-BWD_3992187-P_408_R|GRPSESWAMS_536917201___

I`ve gone through two of them in the last couple of years.

The problem is that Jeep has full current for the lights going through the switch. Changed to a relay to control the lights. Now the switch only see`s an amp or so instead of 15 +/- amps as wired from the factory.
Could you explain, possibly with pics on adding in the relay to the headlight switch. think I would like to try this before I buy the switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the input everyone. I pulled out the switch the other night and as I started I noticed it was covered with electrical tape. I knew then it'd be the switch, and it was. Part of it was broken and barely making a connection. $18 and some change and it's working great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts