Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow wrangler dudes & dudettes......... So im sure this is a dead horse that has been beat multiple times..but through the years new technology, change of mind, etc....im the type of person who post a question or will read a review and scroll through all the comment sections to make a decision on what to purchase. As most of you know these YJ's have a horrible headlight(s) (depending if one works or not) :lmao: so my next upgrade im debating between an H4 headlamp kit (ECE not DOT) upgrade OR LED, not really interested in the HID's but if the persuasion is there im up to listen. I'd like to hear everyone's experiences OR link to a previous post... mind you im not the most electrically inclined guy so please dumb it down. Also some insight into upgrading the wiring harness is much appreciated because that is something that i would also like to do. For informational purposes im 2-3 month newb to a 91 YJ 4 banger owner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used the putco H4 wiring harness upgrade off amazon, rampage H4 housing and hella 80/100W bulbs. my lights are pretty dang bright im sure not as bright as maybe HID but bright enough for me. im very happy with it and didnt take me more than an hour or so and im not electrically inclined in any way haha

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
The first thing to do is disconnect your headlamp grounds on the back of the grill panel (one on each side near each headlamp.
Scrape away any paint and corrosion. Then clean any corrosion off the ground wire ends. Reinstall the ground wires.
I did this prior to installing H4s and picked up 1.2 volts (10% additional voltage) at the headlamp plug as measured with a Digital Volt Meter.
The Putco or a homemade harness will save the additional current from high powered headlamps from passing through your headlamp switch and causing the switch to fail.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the putco H4 wiring harness upgrade off amazon, rampage H4 housing and hella 80/100W bulbs. my lights are pretty dang bright im sure not as bright as maybe HID but bright enough for me. im very happy with it and didnt take me more than an hour or so and im not electrically inclined in any way haha
Cool deal man....just straight plug in play? no crimping or cutting?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cool deal man....just straight plug in play? no crimping or cutting?
i spliced in some waterproof fuse holders cause it doesnt have them but it can be plug and play if you dont want the fuses. i think there is a different one on amazon that has the fuses in it already? also what luckymac said with the grounds is useful i cleaned my up at the same time as the wiring install

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Relay harness...$25 on amazon...

Cibie Ecodes and osram 60/55W H4...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I agree with drednot on the relay wiring harness. the wiring in the yj was never great and just gets worse with age. as you will need a new harness for any of the aftermarket lights, install it first, you might be happy with just the harness.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been looking hard at the Genies led headlights and the 8000k projectors. Dunno which would be better since my high beam switch is janky. I know I should fix it but I don't use the high beams much.

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
I've been looking hard at the Genies led headlights and the 8000k projectors. Dunno which would be better since my high beam switch is janky. I know I should fix it but I don't use the high beams much.
5k is the temp factory hid's are once you hit 6k and beyond the light output drops

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok I want that bright white look, HID seems awful fancy to me especially in an 95 but the stocks are horrible. Those cheep Amazon housings worth it?

·
Registered
558 Posts
in regards to your high beams with the hid retrofit high beams are unnecessary in fact there isn't much of a noticeable difference in the light output or beam when I use mine other than being flashed by oncoming traffic the low beams are extremely bright

·
Registered
44 Posts
in regards to your high beams with the hid retrofit high beams are unnecessary in fact there isn't much of a noticeable difference in the light output or beam when I use mine other than being flashed by oncoming traffic the low beams are extremely bright
Ok that sounds like what I need. My toggle switch doesn't stay engaged on high beam and if I mess with it too much the lights sort out. No problem leaving them on low. I need to replace it but don't want to take the steering column apart... but I also need to stop being lazy and just do it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
On mine the previous owner monkeyed around with trying to change the wiper switch by busting the column cover and taped it up I removed the tape and everything fell onto my floor somehow I figured out how it went back together and taped it back up but then my column snapped in half a week later if you do go the route of hid's I wouldn't go cheap on the hid stuff the housing is one thing but theretrofitsource.com gives a 5 year warranty on the ballasts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts