Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while my headlights shut off. All parking lights stay on, but headlight will turn off then flicker back on. Also, I don't know if its related, but the passenger light is a bit more dim. I did take the ground wire out and sand everything down. The screw was a little rusty but everything else was sanded down. It got better and has only done it once for like 3 secs this time. Is the screw corrosion effecting it?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Every once in a while my headlights shut off. All parking lights stay on, but headlight will turn off then flicker back on. Also, I don't know if its related, but the passenger light is a bit more dim. I did take the ground wire out and sand everything down. The screw was a little rusty but everything else was sanded down. It got better and has only done it once for like 3 secs this time. Is the screw corrosion effecting it?
sounds like a short to me? :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a short to me? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Trying to chase it down but not having luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The switch on the dashboard is probably going bad. If the top was ever left off when it rained they get wet and corrode.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The switch on the dashboard is probably going bad. If the top was ever left off when it rained they get wet and corrode.
I will have to check that out. I've only owned it for 2 weeks so I haven't had top off and rain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably the people who owned it before u. It happens a lot. Or u get the people that power wash the interior. Contrary to some belief Jeep interiors are not water proof. Also check the fuse panel. Sometimes the fuse box gets humid and can corrode. I'd bet its a faulty switch cause mine did it too

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuse panel looks good. Checked that earlier. Any tips to pull the switch? Or is it a pop in and out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has some screws that hold it in. Very easy. Just be careful with the plastics. They get real brittle. Also when u put the new one in, don't overtighten the screws. Just a good finger tighten or you could break the panel or the mount. The whole facial fering has to come off to get to it. Just don't rush it...they are brittle too. About 10 screws to undo total if I remember correctly. Once you have it off, push it to the on position and see if it turns off if u barely touch the bottom. That means its the switch. Also check your dimming switch while its out....hope this helps

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Bad H/L switch.
They have a circuit breaker inside and when they get old or coroded the head lights will cut off then after the switch cools off they come back on.Common problem.

·
Registered
89YJ 4.2 - currently installing Sniper EFI. 4"lift, 33" tires, yada yada
166 Posts
Change out the switch. Simple fix.

Consider doing the wiring mod too. I'm on my ipad so I can't link it, but there is a good mod out there that replaces all the wiring and increases the brightness.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Change out the switch. Simple fix.

Consider doing the wiring mod too. I'm on my ipad so I can't link it, but there is a good mod out there that replaces all the wiring and increases the brightness.
Nice! Please post when off iPad

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The mod is replacing the headlight switch with a new one then wiring up the headlights using relays, it passes all of the power directly to the headlights instead of through all of the Jeeps other lights first. You get full power to the headlamps which increases their brightness, plus it eliminates the problem prone headlight switch. Less troubleshooting as well, as your headlight wiring harness is within easy reach under the hood, no more futzing with fuses under the dash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts