Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the whole jeep thing. Just bought my first jeep. 06 tj. Love it, everything but the headlights. Can I just by better bulbs or what? Installed a light bar and wow! But as far as general highway driving- I can hardly see! What to do??

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
New to the whole jeep thing. Just bought my first jeep. 06 tj. Love it, everything but the headlights. Can I just by better bulbs or what? Installed a light bar and wow! But as far as general highway driving- I can hardly see! What to do??

OEM headlights are just slightly better than candles. If you have the OEM setup, it is a sealed beam so you cannot put a bulb into it. You have options:

low dollar: ~$45 - SYLVANIA H6024ST SilverStar sealed beams
mid dollar: ~$170 - Hella e-code H4 conversion with bulbs
high dollar: ~$350 - Truck-lite LEDs

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Try out trucklite LED headlights. The problem with cheap alternatives is the housings are crap. You can have the brightest light in the world but whats the use if the housing cant project it properly. The trucklites are around $330 a pair, use less power then one OEM TJ headlight, the low beam and high beam is super bright and it has a nice straight cuttoff. The TJ headlights kind of just threw light out in front of you in no real pattern. Trucklites have lights thrown out about 160 degrees In front of you, and it is consistent until the cutoff. People complain about the price but look at it this way. Half of our day is dark and we use our headlights, why go for something that sorta works when you can buy something once that will work amazing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just did sylvania silverstars and they were a vast improvement over OEM. I just can bring myself to sink $500 bucks into headlights when I do very little off road stuff.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Are Silverstars a sealed beam? One advantage of the Hella Vision Plus is that the bulb is replaceable @ ~ $5.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
can't say enough about the Trucklites....!

trucklites for the win.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just did sylvania silverstars and they were a vast improvement over OEM. I just can bring myself to sink $500 bucks into headlights when I do very little off road stuff.
Here is a pic of the silverstars next to the trucklites. I will stand by the trucklites for life. Best light I ever had.

image-1800608554.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was hesitant to drop ~$300 on the Truck Lites. I was worried that yeah they are brighter, but they still suck. Finally pulled the trigger, install took just a few minutes. Flipped them on and was not impressed (of course it was the middle of the day). When it got dark, finally took her out for a spin and WOW these things are fantastic. These are definitely worth the cash.

One concern I had was ice build up in the winter, I drove with them through the winter and never had a single problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I upgraded to the Sylvania 6024 Silverstars referenced above and it made a night and day difference (stockers were junk). You can buy a set of them off Amazon for ~$40 if I recall correctly. I also changed out my factory foglight bulbs to silverstars because the stockers were so yellow after replacing my headlights. I would recommend the Sylvanias.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts