Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here about headlight issues, lack of brightness. I too would like a plug and play build that would make a noticeable difference. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is good and worth spending some cash on. I don't want to get too crazy but would like to have more light. Any thoughts would be great. 2012 jk.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Either Hella E-Code headlights, or Hella Vision Plus headlights. E-Codes are European, Vision Plus are DOT approved.

Quadratec or 4wd.com has them.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Oh I didn’t pay any attention to your location, I would give them a call anyway and see what they would recommend for you situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I could do that, I was going to install some silver stars but been reading that some didn't find that much of an increase in light and they don't seen to last all that long. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
You should search Hilldweller's threads he is the head light expert around here, big time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I thought the JKs already came with composite headlights that were a big step up from the old sealed beams of the TJs?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in at a performance store today asking this question. He told me they have a jk as an in house show vehicle. They guy driving it was complaining how bad the lights were. They told me that other than going H.I.D. That he felt the Piaa ? Extreme white bulbs were the best choice. Any opinions?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
old 300 said:
I was in at a performance store today asking this question. He told me they have a jk as an in house show vehicle. They guy driving it was complaining how bad the lights were. They told me that other than going H.I.D. That he felt the Piaa ? Extreme white bulbs were the best choice. Any opinions?
PIAA makes fantastic driving lights, they are the "KC" lights of the racer tuners. They can get quite expensive. The lights he was talking about are replacement bulbs; http://www.piaa.com/automotive-bulbs/xtreme_white_plus.html I have no experience with these actual lights but I dont doubt they are as good as any other piaa product.

HID conversions aren't that hard and actually use less power. You need a ballast for each light and a new bulb for it, it works by initially discharging 23kV through the bulb, which generates awesome light without a filament, but then after lit can drop to about 35W to be much brighter than a 55W halogen. The problem is without a headlight casing, or reflecter actually, to properly project the light forward it wont be that great of an upgrade. This is where projector housings come in.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I stumbled onto this page here Bulbs 101-A Primer on Auto Bulbs and they say it's illegal to change to HIDs unless you get a whole DOT approved kit with the right reflectors and everything...or something to that effect.
(bottom of the page--there's a link)

Is that true?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Technically, yes. You cannot modify any componant that has been DOT approved and use on road unless it is recertified after the mod.

Most localities and states have light emission laws that are more relavent to you (and any ticket you'll get).

It wont help you to slap in HIDs without projector housing b/c of light diffusion. Halogen headlights are heavily diffused, meaning the light is more of a flood than a spot. HIDs have to be the other way, a very focused spot. Without that it wont be brighter to you, only everyone looking at you.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
...It wont help you to slap in HIDs without projector housing b/c of light diffusion. Halogen headlights are heavily diffused, meaning the light is more of a flood than a spot. HIDs have to be the other way, a very focused spot. Without that it wont be brighter to you, only everyone looking at you.
Got it...Thanks!
(No one has ever really explained that fact to me before about the why on the reflector differences.) :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts