Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought the Q-tech heated LED’s as when we do get Winter precip it tends to be freezing rain/slush/wet snow where I live. These are the QTech by JWS. VERY easy install, have generally been pleased with them- I had tried upgraded Sylvania bulbs in the stock housings - not much difference. Much better with QT LED’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I am considering this one from your site;

https://www.quadratec.com/p/oracle-lighting/7-high-powered-led-headlight-pair-jeep-cj-12-volt-system-jeep-wrangler

Is it plug and play? Easy to install? I don't see an install video for it so not sure. Would these LED's require any kind of adjusting (the height of light) after being installed? Is it a good, reliable product to go with? Thanks.
Frankly I'm surprised that @Quadratec is selling that crap. The color shifting halo is illegal and cannot be compliant with FMVSS-108.
The text also has a few inaccurate descriptions that hint that the product was never truly tested and assayed for compliance. It states that it is DOT and SAE "approved"; neither entity has any approval power. States that it has a "6000K color temperature" --- LEDs don't have temperature ratings.
Bad product. Avoid.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I bought the Q-tech heated LED’s as when we do get Winter precip it tends to be freezing rain/slush/wet snow where I live. These are the QTech by JWS. VERY easy install, have generally been pleased with them- I had tried upgraded Sylvania bulbs in the stock housings - not much difference. Much better with QT LED’s.
Sylvania's upgraded bulbs aren't very good --- Phillips makes the best H13 bulbs.
But there isn't much you can do with the H13 design, especially when the parabola isn't very good and the power delivery is pulsewidth modulated and throttled back from full potential.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,516 Posts

https://www.quadratec.com/p/oracle-lighting/7-high-powered-led-headlight-pair-jeep-cj-12-volt-system-jeep-wrangler

Is it plug and play? Easy to install? I don't see an install video for it so not sure. Would these LED's require any kind of adjusting (the height of light) after being installed? Is it a good, reliable product to go with? Thanks.

Those Oracle headlights are plug and play and easy to install. There is a link for the installation instructions on the web page for the headlights if you want to check it out. However with the weather in your area you live in I would highly recommend the heated LED headlights.

Have a great day,
Hailey

·
Registered
135 Posts

Hi there! Just wanted to clear up a few things with the ORACLE High Powered headlights.

They are an easy install; here's a great overview video:

Regarding the legality, we recommend checking your local laws. Typically, white and amber are street-legal while the ColorShift is used for display while parked for shows, photos, etc. Here's the product features per light:
• Low Beam Wattage: 30W Normal/36W Max
• Low Beam Lumens: 2200 Lumens/3600 Raw Lumens
• High Beam Wattage: 40W Normal/48W Max
• High Beam Lumens: 3600 Lumens/4800 Raw Lumens​

LEDs do actually have a temperature rating from 2700K to 6500K. These headlights sit at 6000K, making them a cool white perfect for lighting roads and trails.

As far as the 'approval' verbiage, these are DOT and SAE certified.

Here's a photo of the white for reference:

Hope that clears a few questions for you. Please let me know if we can assist you further with your decision. Hope to see you running ORACLE!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If I was going to put money into headlights, I would buy something that is actually going to provide better lighting at night and not just something cosmetic. I've got no issue with halos (as long as they are white) and am actually a big fan of DRL's, but I would spend the money to get an actual LED headlight. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

haha, i run my DRLs as the blinker lights.. my halos are orange in the day and the round blinkers are on too... i dont like being like everyone else... i like to be different LOL..

OP: check out amazon, i got headlights AND foglights for less than those raxioms, so far they holding up.. OEM headlights packed away safely if these dont last.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

LEDs do actually have a temperature rating from 2700K to 6500K. These headlights sit at 6000K
LEDs don't have a temperature rating. They'd have an SPD graph and CRI.

As far as the 'approval' verbiage, these are DOT and SAE certified....
Approval shouldn't be in air quotes.
Neither the DOT nor SAE certify anything.
You certify that they are compliant with FMVSS-108 by virtue of the extensive testing and assaying that the product(s) was subjected to.
And they would not have been tested and assayed to be compliant since they have the ability to change to Disney colors, which are non-compliant.

·
Registered
135 Posts
LEDs don't have a temperature rating. They'd have an SPD graph and CRI.
SPD and CRI are not what are used automotive industry to denote White color hue. CCT (Correlated Color TEMPERATURE) is how light color is specified in automotive light. If you are specifying lighting for a commercial project you may specify CRI (R9 specifically) but does not necessarily apply in this context.

We have our own on-site photometric testing lab, if you want to discuss photonics give us a call... our engineers would love to take a deep dive on the subject.

Approval shouldn't be in air quotes.
Neither the DOT nor SAE certify anything.
You are correct DOT does not approve anything that's WHY we use quotes. These LED Headlights (not referring to the colored halo lights) are third party certified to be FULLY compliant with FMVSS108 CFR 400-599.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
SPD and CRI are not what are used automotive industry to denote White color hue. CCT (Correlated Color TEMPERATURE) is how light color is specified in automotive light. If you are specifying lighting for a commercial project you may specify CRI (R9 specifically) but does not necessarily apply in this context.

We have our own on-site photometric testing lab, if you want to discuss photonics give us a call... our engineers would love to take a deep dive on the subject.

You are correct DOT does not approve anything that's WHY we use quotes. These LED Headlights (not referring to the colored halo lights) are third party certified to be FULLY compliant with FMVSS108 CFR 400-599.
Sorry bout that; this lab is chromatography, mass spec, and uv-vis. No cigar.

But you must be aware that the kids are running the Disney lights on the street, right? I'm fresh back from lunch and saw red and green halos facing forward.
You have to kill that feature to be considered legitimate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
But you must be aware that the kids are running the Disney lights on the street, right? I'm fresh back from lunch and saw red and green halos facing forward.
You have to kill that feature to be considered legitimate.
Agreed,colored lights (as is the case for auxiliary lights, KC lights, light bars, rock lights, etc) are not in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Standards for on-road use.
To be clear, we do not encourage or condone driving on-road with any colored lights. These are meant for show purposes only (car shows, off road driving, etc)

Sorry bout that; this lab is chromatography, mass spec, and uv-vis.
That sounds really interesting actually :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
DOT approved? No such thing. In the US we do not have a type approval system; regulated motor vehicle equipment is instead certified *by the manufacturer* to comply with the apposite regulations. The DOT does NOT approve equipment!

Seeing as the maker can't even get that detail right, what else have they terribly screwed up with regard to the lamp itself?

·
Registered
76 Posts
49 CFR 400-499 comprises CHAPTER IV—COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, so that's already a lot of compliance that is not required for vehicle headlamps. Did you mean "49 CFR 571.108"?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
DOT approved? No such thing. In the US we do not have a type approval system; regulated motor vehicle equipment is instead certified *by the manufacturer* to comply with the apposite regulations. The DOT does NOT approve equipment!

Seeing as the maker can't even get that detail right, what else have they terribly screwed up with regard to the lamp itself?
The battle against Disney lights is tiring and never-ending, isn't it?
You need to come over for lunch, Alaric. We're in a remodel, messy, and I have no students until Monday. My attention span is crap without my students around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
49 CFR 400-499 comprises CHAPTER IV—COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, so that's already a lot of compliance that is not required for vehicle headlamps. Did you mean "49 CFR 571.108"?
49 CFR 400 to 599 (aka "The Book") is all inclusive of NHTSA Transportation related regulation. I stated 400-599 to be clear and, yes, #571 is within 400-599, thanks for pointing that out...

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really like what I hear about the JW Speaker J2's. Has anyone had experience with the KC Gravity LED headlights? They have a more "traditional" Jeep look than the projector type lights.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I really like what I hear about the JW Speaker J2's. Has anyone had experience with the KC Gravity LED headlights? They have a more "traditional" Jeep look than the projector type lights.

@CaptnGus - there are quite a few posts here in WF on the KC LED’s - all positive from what I read.

I have the “Qtech made by JWS” LED’s and have been pleased with them. Direct plug-n-play. They are the projector variant so the appearance does differ from the stock headlamps - and they also are far superior to the stock ‘lamps, too... the stock lamps have less useable light output than what prob came on Henry Ford’s Model T, imho...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2014 Rubicon X and I’m trying to find the best LED headlamps and fog package. I e searched but a lot of the posts are old. Tried the COWONE from Amazon and it arrived with a broken led lamp. I want to spend less than 200$, any recommendations? I have the different front bumper that came with my package.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2014 Rubicon X and I’m trying to find the best LED headlamps and fog package. I e searched but a lot of the posts are old. Tried the COWONE from Amazon and it arrived with a broken led lamp. I want to spend less than 200$, any recommendations? I have the different front bumper that came with my package.
You get to pick one of those, not both.

Best:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/headlights/0557213-jw-speaker-8700-evolution-j3-series-heated-headlight-kit-black

Reactions: Ugoderosa

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks- yes I’m trying not to spend $1100 for the headlamps. So, I should amend my question... not the BEST.... good ones

You get to pick one of those, not both.

Best:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/headlights/0557213-jw-speaker-8700-evolution-j3-series-heated-headlight-kit-black

21 - 40 of 43 Posts