Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2019 Wrangler JL. Will never off-road. Primarily to tow behind my motorhome.
I'm very disappointed with the headlights. Beam very focused directly ahead. Very little light to left/right. Turning corners in the dark is a problem as I'm unable to actually see.
Are wider beams available? Should I add flood lamps to help view left/right? Do not have this problem with my Volvo or F150. It's unnerving not to have beams that help me view the side of the road.
Has anyone else noticed this lack of beam width? If you have, how did you solve the problem? Never having experienced this type of problem before, I'm not even sure where to begin to turn for help. Friend mentioned this JEEP WRANGLER FORUM. Hoping for input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The halogen lights provided some of the worst visibility I've ever had in a vehicle. Swapped out the headlights to aftermarket 7in LEDS. Did this prior to a kit being made to fill the gap for the 9in headlight space but I can now see so I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
There are a number of LED options that really help. One question you need to consider is if you need LEDs with a heating element or not. Here in Utah that is a must so I used Trucklite heated LEDs on my JK. If that is not a need then go with the J.W. Speaker headlights.

Update. It looks like J.W. Speaker now makes heated headlights. Check those out as well. If you want to see lamps that really reach out on the sides install the J.w. Speaker LED fog lamps.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
The issue of snow/ice with LED HL's is real. I admit to not quite understanding the whole LED and heat "thing".
I have the OE LED option and they are great lights. My JK has JlSpeakers - great lights.

* I have the Mopar round off-road lights and accidentally had a switch flip the other day - In 10 seconds they melted the covers right through.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody have experience changing out the halogen lamp for an LED lamp?

They seem to be inexpensive which would lead me to believe they are not worth the trouble to change them out?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anybody have experience changing out the halogen lamp for an LED lamp?

They seem to be inexpensive which would lead me to believe they are not worth the trouble to change them out?
I'm currently trying this first before actually replacing the entire headlight and I'm very happy with the greatly improved light output. I researched and found H13 LED bulbs that are plug-in-play. I didn't even have to remove the front grill to install. The light pattern is also non-glaring for the oncoming drivers.

If you go this route, make sure the LED bulbs you get are designed for halogen housings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm currently trying this first before actually replacing the entire headlight and I'm very happy with the greatly improved light output. I researched and found H13 LED bulbs that are plug-in-play. I didn't even have to remove the front grill to install. The light pattern is also non-glaring for the oncoming drivers.

If you go this route, make sure the LED bulbs you get are designed for halogen housings.
Wear did you buy and what brand are your new bulbs? I see Oracle brand on You Tube.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I found H13 bulbs on Amazon. The brand is TECHMAX however I just checked and looks like the h13s in that brand are not currently available. However, there are many other brands that are available.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You're not the only one that is disappointed in the JL OEM headlights! We have a few options that can greatly improve your light output and give you that spread you want without blinding other drivers.

If you want to do bulb upgrades, check out our JL headlight conversion kit and our JL fog light conversion kit.
These high-output bulbs create a 4,000+ Lumen blanket of light for the driver to increase safety and nighttime visibility with Philips Luxeon ZES chips that draw less than half the power of the factory headlight bulb without a "flicker-free" adapter. A simple install makes them perfect for a quick DIY with a big impact.

If you want to do a whole headlight swap, definitely look at our new Oculus Bi-LED headlights. It has a precision LED lighting projector for optimum light distribution and beam angle. The install uses the original mounting hardware and headlight wiring is Plug & Play into the factory connector without additional relays or harnesses. The halo DRL features over 200 bright white LEDs for a vivid lighting impact.

That beam pattern is killer! Let us know if you have any questions, and use code "forum10" if you purchase on OracleLights.com!

Wear did you buy and what brand are your new bulbs? I see Oracle brand on You Tube.
Heyyyy, check us out on OracleLights.com!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oracle, are the Bi-LED JL replacement headlights a 9" light with no adapters needed? Also, which fog light is a bolt on for the JL Rubicon ? Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oracle, are the Bi-LED JL replacement headlights a 9" light with no adapters needed? Also, which fog light is a bolt on for the JL Rubicon ? Thanks!
Yes, they are a direct 9" fit that installs using original mounting hardware, and the headlight wiring is Plug & Play into the factory connector without additional relays or harnesses. A quick and simple install for a big impact! Check out our install video for an overview:

https://vimeo.com/343654460

We usually recommend our High Performance 20w fog lights to pair with the Oculus, but these won't work just yet on the Rubicon Sport model until we carry the bolting brackets.

If you want to talk options, give our sales team a call 1-800-407-5776. Renee is helping out forum users today, and she'll be happy to assist (and give you our 10% off forum discount!)

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just drove up to Vermont last night and got to really experience my OEM halogens. Driving around Jersey, I was thinking that they aren't so bad and I like the little Jeep grill built in to them. In NY state and Vermont they were weak. What is interesting though, is that a bunch of times I got the hi beam flash even though I didn't have them on. I guess I need to check the aim, but I am sold on the Oracle bi-led now. Will order when I get home. Are they on sale!! Lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just drove up to Vermont last night and got to really experience my OEM halogens. Driving around Jersey, I was thinking that they aren't so bad and I like the little Jeep grill built in to them. In NY state and Vermont they were weak. What is interesting though, is that a bunch of times I got the hi beam flash even though I didn't have them on. I guess I need to check the aim, but I am sold on the Oracle bi-led now. Will order when I get home. Are they on sale!! Lol
LOL we got you...use code forum10 for 10% off your purchase on OracleLights.com! The Oculus is quick to install and comes with a tool for easy beam angle adjustability for proper light focus. Our install video above covers that, and you can always give us a call for assistance!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ordered! Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
What happens when one installs cheap Chinese LED's with no resistor or CANBUS interface module?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts