Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here again to get your opinions. I am wanting to replace my factory headlights with brighter (as close to xenon without spending a fortune) lights. Have any of you gone through this and have any tips/tricks or recommendations on bulbs? I think my eyesight is going and need brighter clearer lights for night time travel.

02 Wrangler

thanks once again!

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
Ha. I will be the first to recommend IPF E Code housings and IPF Fat Boy bulbs. I have E Code housings in my jeep and my wifes jeep. I run the IPF Magic Bulbs and she has the Fat Boys. Add an upgraded wiring harness and maybe a set of IPF 968s and you are as bright as you need to be with tons of light dispersement.

I will never give up my IPF headlights. They were a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you are getting older and need more night illumination start with replacing the stock headlights with E codes, made by IPF, Hella, CIBIE and use Xenon bulbs, here is a link to see hours and power and such, lot of information on that site, they are in Reading PA.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp
Keep in mind the brighter the light generally the shorter the life.
Next step is add a good quality set of FOG lights, this will give you better close in illumination and light up the sides of the road better.
Step after that is to put an aux harness in, stick a meter on your headlight socket and measure the voltage, compare it to the voltage at the battery, if it's like 11V at the socket thats from the distance the electricity has to travel from the PDC to the headlight socket, the aux harness eliminates that 8 or 10 ft it has to travel and gives you the same voltage.
Also check your stock headlight sockets, if they are all corroded and green nasty colored find a burnishing tool, thats a piece of spring steel like a nail file, clean the sockets out. If you can find the right sized nail file that will work too just try not to remove too much material from the connectors, also hobby shops have very small super fine files. Then before plugging them back in put a coat of dielectric grease on them to minimize corrosion, also called 'tune up grease'.
You will need to adjust those E codes, they have a very straight cut off line on low beam, I use a wall, chalk line and a yard stick method, works for me.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Ha. I will be the first to recommend IPF E Code housings and IPF Fat Boy bulbs. I have E Code housings in my jeep and my wifes jeep. I run the IPF Magic Bulbs and she has the Fat Boys. Add an upgraded wiring harness and maybe a set of IPF 968s and you are as bright as you need to be with tons of light dispersement.

I will never give up my IPF headlights. They were a huge improvement over stock.
x2 :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Silverstars on my unlimited and love them. For only 20 bucks or so per side I dont think you can go wrong. There was a huge difference from stock bulbs to the Silverstars.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Dont get the silverstar drop ins, if you really want to upgrade your lighting. They do help, but for only 100 extra your lights can be SO much better. Do it right the first time.

If you put in IPF housings, and fat boy bulbs (those silverstar H4s are fine too, but the fatboys are a lot brighter) you are NEVER going to say "I wish I saved a hundred bucks and bought drop ins."

I cant say the same about the drop ins... If your not happy now, you wont be happy just doing new silverstars :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not tried this other light in this thread but Sylvania Silverstars are inexpensive and really bright clean white.
That is what I am running. Plus I did the fog light mod of removing the shields.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I saw a wrangler with orange/yellow like headlights i thought it seemed really bright/sexy in the woods instead of my silverstars. Illegal yes. But they would be nice to use for my accessories. Anyone know the name of them?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Why not just buy a xenon kit ? there about 100-120 on ebay...bulbs,harness,ignitors, and module.....i have 1 in each of my other cars...i love them, it sucks going from one car with the xenons to the jeep without them....

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THERE TJ WITH PROJECTER HEADLIGHTS? POST EM IF YA GOT EM..THANKS

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
IF you decide to do HIDs on a Jeep, do it with the "booby" style headlights, or dont do it at all! It may be fun blinding other people since you arent being blinded, by when an 18 wheeler comes over and takes out your Jeep, it will be your fault! With that said, its your choice how ignorant you want to be :)

http://www.xesighting.com/products_detail.asp?nav=1&cat=1&prod=94

http://www.xesighting.com/products_detail.asp?nav=1&cat=1&prod=93

are some good starting points. I have heard of people melting standard Hella/Delta capusles trying to convert them to HID, so be careful on what setup you wish to go by. Only a true projector should be used though :)

Do it once, Do it right. OP, get IPFs, OffrDer, get a good projector/HID :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not much into being a prick and blinding people, sucks when it happens to me, i was looking at these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Proj...ryZ33709QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure there NOWHERE near the quality of ipf, but i figure its only $32 bucks if they dont work, or break....plus it has angel eyes in them..... and REAL xenon bulbs dont melt headlight assemblies they acutally run at a lower wattage and cooler temperture then your factory bulbs, your factory headlights are between 75-100watts, xenon bulbs are about 35watts, those "fake" xenon bulbs that you buy at autozone melt your headlights becasue they run REALLY hot i've seen them at 160watts. Just a FYI

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
lololol - those "headlights" might not break, but the chrome paint on the inside will flake off :D

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^^who cares about the chrome, just take'em out and spray'em to match or black'em out like I did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Magic Fatboys???

I've about had it with the stock lights myself. I drive more at night than during the day, and I don't think I can take too much more of this. Too many deer, and not enough candlepower....I'm going nuts!

So I've been reading all the posts I can regarding replacement bulbs/housings. I have a bunch of questions that hopefully someone can answer. I've been checking out IPF, as they seem to come highly recommended. Is it really necessary to replace the housing? If so, what advantages would a new E code housing offer over a 2006 stock unit? Has anyone bought the bulb first, used it in their stock set-up, then bought the housing?

I'm sorry if I've repeated questions that might have been answered 50 times already. I'm not scared to spend money, but I hate wasting it...no offense to those who have Silverstars, but I've been there once and there is no way I'd go back. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help out.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've about had it with the stock lights myself. I drive more at night than during the day, and I don't think I can take too much more of this. Too many deer, and not enough candlepower....I'm going nuts!

So I've been reading all the posts I can regarding replacement bulbs/housings. I have a bunch of questions that hopefully someone can answer. I've been checking out IPF, as they seem to come highly recommended. Is it really necessary to replace the housing? If so, what advantages would a new E code housing offer over a 2006 stock unit? Has anyone bought the bulb first, used it in their stock set-up, then bought the housing?

I'm sorry if I've repeated questions that might have been answered 50 times already. I'm not scared to spend money, but I hate wasting it...no offense to those who have Silverstars, but I've been there once and there is no way I'd go back. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help out.

First off, you dont have housings I dont think. I think all stock headlights are sealed beams. You have to replae the whole thing. Thats how they are in my 97. I use silverstars and they work fine for me. My fog lights more than make up for any shortcomings the headlights might have.

To address the use of afftermarket projectors. I had some of those on my last car. Aftermarket ones are absolutely useless. My factory crap bulbs in factory housings gave me more light than HIDs in the aftermarket projector housings. They disperse light terribly. So I would recommend either do the silverstar drop ins- Or if you want a little more than that do ecodes and try PIAA or eurolites. BUt avoid aftermarket projectors. waste of money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts