Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured if anybody knew the answer to this question, it would be someone here... Does anybody know how to remove the headrest locking mechanism? I'm talking about the plastic doodads that seems to be loosely attached to the seat after the headrest is removed. I've got an idea brewing in my head and I need access to the area beneath those whatchamacallits in order to proceed... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I figured if anybody knew the answer to this question, it would be someone here... Does anybody know how to remove the headrest locking mechanism? I'm talking about the plastic doodads that seems to be loosely attached to the seat after the headrest is removed. I've got an idea brewing in my head and I need access to the area beneath those whatchamacallits in order to proceed... Thanks for the help!
This is going to be a first. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I pulled the ones on the front seat of my 08, if I remember right, the pretty much just pulled out with some force. There might have been a tab to retain them that you need to pry out of the way, but I definitely got them out without taking the seat out or the cover out. I had to pull mine because I added headrest monitors, so I needed to be able to get the connector in the seat back.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jwilson2598 said:
I pulled the ones on the front seat of my 08, if I remember right, the pretty much just pulled out with some force. There might have been a tab to retain them that you need to pry out of the way, but I definitely got them out without taking the seat out or the cover out. I had to pull mine because I added headrest monitors, so I needed to be able to get the connector in the seat back.
I'll give it a try this afternoon... Thanks. For anyone else with some input, I did some digging and found that they are called "headrest sleeves"... Go figure. Here are some pictures of what we are talking about:

Button

Thanks everyone... Keep the ideas coming... Even if you went ahead and removed them like Wilson... Even to serve as confirmation, any other input is appreciated... Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Potts said:
so what is the plan...interested!
I am planning a doors/top off road trip and am paranoid about anything being stolen... At $200-$300 a pop for the front head rests, I want to make sure that they stay with the Jeep (She's my first, so I want to baby her as long as possible). Talking with other forum members, I feel a little bit better about them not being stolen, but I'm still a worrier at heart. So... Here is my idea: I want to remove the headrest, remove the "sleeves," slip the headrest back into the sleeve, use a zip-tie (on the lowest notch of the headrest bars) to limit the amount of extension on the headrest (basically keep it from being completely removed), snap the whole thing back on and be on my way. As long as I've had vehicles with removable headrests, I can't ever remember a time when I actually needed to adjust them... Much less remove them. What do you think? A bit much? If I get it all working, I will do a write up with some pictures... If anybody is interested... I'm curious to read what everybody has to say about my plan... Drop a line...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
No one is gonna take your headrests lol.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lolpetewtf said:
No one is gonna take your headrests lol.
She's my baby... Everybody wants to take home a piece of her... I know it! lol... I am WAY overprotective... I know... But better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'll send you mine if someone takes yours :rofl:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Even if you zip tie them, if someone wants your headrests (don't know why they would) they will still pull out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SilverSport said:
Even if you zip tie them, if someone wants your headrests (don't know why they would) they will still pull out.
I realized that, but I'm hoping that if someone is set on stealing them, they would go for a quick grab... Zip tie may just slow them down enough to deter them... Wishful thinking + Paranoia = weird, potentially pointless mods... Who knows, I may never have to worry, but I'd rather know that I at least tried...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bet you have a better chance of winning lotto or struck by lightning, headrest thieves running a muck? :hide:

:crazy:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I tried removing the headrests from the back seats and I couldn't.
I am not driving anyone in the back, and I though this may give me little better view in the mirror.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
109 Rider said:
I tried removing the headrests from the back seats and I couldn't.
I am not driving anyone in the back, and I though this may give me little better view in the mirror.
From what I understand, the rear headrests are pretty tough to remove and involves removing the upholstery from the seat, so I'm not worried about them at all... If you want a write up on how to remove them, I'll post a link below...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4518

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jwilson2598 said:
No dice... I tried a gentle wiggle with moderate upward force without any effect. Firm force showed no sign of budge either. Maybe I'm not pulling hard enough, but I'm afraid to snap the plastic... Don't have any spare off hand. I'm assuming that since it rotates about 1/8 of a turn and won't just pop out, there must be a catch of some sort like was mentioned (I can't see down to any, but if I had a better idea of where to look, I might have better luck). Anybody have any ideas? Any advice or experience is welcome.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I dont think you can remove the rear headrest from a four door ....the 2 doors are easy just squeeze the clip on the plastic rings and at the same time lift up

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Forget the headrests, honestly. If someone wants something they will open your dinky cheap glove box/center console. Headrests are the last thing you should worry about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts