Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bought a Magnaflow MFL17143 and a resonator from Northridge 4x4 and put on my Wrangler. This has a manly aggressive growl indeed, but I need something more stealthy.

My plan is to sell this in WA state as barely used and put OEM or something more quiet in it's place.

Here's the catch - I want to stay on the drivers side and stub out at the rear tire, I don't want to go back to the space behind the bumper.

Please let me know exactly what you bought that's dead-assed quiet, not speculation. I want to most quiet exhaust that can happen on this 3.8.

Then I want to see if it's possible to stay on the drivers run and bolt in the same places.

Thx for your experiences.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've been thinking of cutting off the stock resonator and welding in this same muffler to remove the rear muffler and have the exhaust dump at the bumper.

Local shop would sell me the Magnaflow muffler and do the work for $175.

I just want a little bit more sound nothing super loud fart can or droning on the highway cruising 60-75mph

Thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you guys want to repro what I have now. It will sound awesome, but you might want to plan to make it easy to get back to stock if you change your mind.

Also, the manifold exhaust pipe crosses the vehicle under the tranny to mate in to one pipe, just above the skid plate. You need to cinch that up and make sure it can never drop down and rattle against the plate or it will drive you nuts just idling in the driveway.

Someone on another forum recommended the Dynomax Quiet Crawler but when I watch a video it really doesn't sounds as quiet as I want, I want to sound as much like damned Prius as possible.

Who has a quiet rig?

·
Registered
738 Posts
It sounds like you guys want to repro what I have now. It will sound awesome, but you might want to plan to make it easy to get back to stock if you change your mind.

Also, the manifold exhaust pipe crosses the vehicle under the tranny to mate in to one pipe, just above the skid plate. You need to cinch that up and make sure it can never drop down and rattle against the plate or it will drive you nuts just idling in the driveway.

Someone on another forum recommended the Dynomax Quiet Crawler but when I watch a video it really doesn't sounds as quiet as I want, I want to sound as much like damned Prius as possible.

Who has a quiet rig?

just go back to stock...extremely quiet like a Prius.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I recall, but if I can get m o r e quiet than stock without a lotta $ than that's what I want to do. Especially staying on the drivers side and not re occupying the area under the rear bumper. We all can reply, don't have to use the quote button :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
Quieter than stock? I thought you said Prius?...lol

You could visit a muffler shop nd see if they could take the stock muffler and turn it side ways and mount it just after the stock resonator and then have it dump just before the rear axle. That would give you plenty of clearance room.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My friend and I both did our exhausts at the same time. We both wanted the Quiet Crawler from dynomax. I wasn't able to fit that system because I have a 2 door.

I ended up using a Dynomax Race Bullet and the stock resonator. I added the Dynomax tailpipe used in the quiet crawler system. It is a damn tight fit, and I had to cut a few inches off of the tailpipe to make it work, but it's pretty quiet. More quiet than my friend's Quiet Crawler system.

I still need to get back under there and adjust it, because it rubs something every once in a while.

After my experience, I would keep the stock exhaust, and just add a chambered muffler behind the stock resonator. That stock resonator does a lot of work for our motors, it cuts out the drone. I have absolutely zero drone. The stock exhaust is also stainless steel, so keep that in mind.

If you have a 4 door, you have 20" more pipe than me. A 2.5" Race Bullet will fit nicely in the straight section in front of the OEM resonator.

If the OP wants it more quiet, add a Dynomax Race Bullet in line with what you already have. The Race bullets are supposed to not rob any horsepower. Or, install the stock resonator back in place of the one you have now.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hickey so you're suggesting keep the stock exhaust pipes and resonator and take of the rear stock muffler and have a muffler shop install a muffler in line right after the resonator?

I was thinking about this too...keeping the stock resonator and adding a free flow muffler or just putting a muffler in place of the resonator and removing the rear stock muffler.

I just want some clearance...remove rear muffler but do not want drone and just a slightly louder exhaust that stock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hickey so you're suggesting keep the stock exhaust pipes and resonator and take of the rear stock muffler and have a muffler shop install a muffler in line right after the resonator?
Yup. IMHO you need a good resonator to eliminate drone and excessive noise with our motors. This seems to be true with both 3.8 and 3.6 motors.

All of the axle back Mufflers sound pretty good, because they keep the stock resonator. The Pypes dual exhaust is really loud, because it deletes that resonator.

If you want nothing behind the axle, you can squeeze a muffler or extra resonator in front of the stock resonator.. BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE 4 DOOR. I did this to my 2 door, but I had to mount my front resonator directly to the head pipe/Y pipe and I'm running into vibration issues because it lacks the bends that are present in the stock intermediate pipe.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is difficult if not,impossible to get stock sound levels,by keeping the exhaust on the passenger side. Just no room. Relocating the Evan canister might get you some room for a bigger muffler.

Here is my Flowmaster HP2 system. It growls with RPM but does not drone per-se when you lug the motor. For example, you definitely hear it when running through the gears (I have a manual) but at cruise, it is very quiet. Lugging the motor at low rpms does not make it drone, probably because it is a baffled/chamber noise canceling design versus a perforated pipe throu a packed outer can.

http://youtu.be/ILwRoGxrlaM

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks^^^ yes I have listened to your video many times...one of the better done video's for exhaust out there. Great looking Jeep too!
Now that our golden state is temporarily green again, I will have to go back and film act II now that I am FI and will be on meth soon. The meth injection will change up the sound/tone - so they say.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After speaking to a number of muffler shops, MOPAR, local Jeep service parts dept, random strangers that will listen . . it does seem that there's no more quiet way than to return to stock at the rear bumper :(

I'm going to post on CL and see if anyone wants to do a swap on a 2007 - 2011 3.8lt exhaust.

I swapped my racing seats for stock in a parking pot with an impact wrench in 20 minutes, so maybe I can get about the same thing done.

Thx for all the info!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts