Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2" but it has always been there..

Strange thing is the clamp that holds the u joint is tight.. no signs of wear..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Cap probably cracked from wear or lack of grease, split into a bunch of pieces, and fell out. How many miles on the jeep?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cap probably cracked from wear or lack of grease, split into a bunch of pieces, and fell out. How many miles on the jeep?
I changed the u joint like 6 months ago .. I don't think I have added grease since then.. so you may be right.. I was surprised that it will only last 6 months.. unless the replacement I used was a very crappy one..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I changed the u joint like 6 months ago .. I don't think I have added grease since then.. so you may be right.. I was surprised that it will only last 6 months.. unless the replacement I used was a very crappy one..
Yeah, must have been a bad quality one or it dried out and seized. Go with a Spicer ujoint if you can

·
Registered
358 Posts
Same thing happend to my 89 xj lol it threw the whe shaft out had to drive home in 4x4 and grab a new pinion flange at the scrap yard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found the only universal U joint left in Nicaragua with the specs I needed!!!

Jeep is back!!

I'm going to look for the Spider one that was mentioned and have it there just in case this happens again..

Cheers!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Do you have any vibrations from your 2" suspension lift? Drivetrain vibrations can and will cause u-joints to fail prematurely.

And the part number for the Spicer u-joint that is appropriate for your driveshaft is 5-1310x.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have any vibrations from your 2" suspension lift? Drivetrain vibrations can and will cause u-joints to fail prematurely.

And the part number for the Spicer u-joint that is appropriate for your driveshaft is 5-1310x.
I didn't really have any vibration that I noticed.. one day the u joint just fall into million pieces after a 300 miles ride... we replaced the u joint with a stock one and now this happened.. I saw that one of the "clamps" was showing too much wear.. I think the cap of the ujoint just snap through it, making it lose..

I will be checking the u joint in a regular basis now.. I didn't know it needed to have grease all the time (big mistake) so lesson learned..

thanks for the data for the ujoint!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts