Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2015 Wrangler 2 door with the 6 speed manual. Now im hearing that its a bad tranny. Is there anyone who doesnt have a problem with that tranny or am I just hearing from the 20 people who do ?

Help - should I have chosen the Auto ??

Scott:jawdrop:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Like anything else, it would be impossible to build any transmission that never had a problem. Inevitably, reports of these problems find their way to Internet forums and garner way more attention than they should.

Sure there have been reports of issues with them, but they are no worse than any other part of these jeeps.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Like already mentioned, any trans will have reports of problems, but I dont think the 6 Speed Manual has any "known issues" ..
I've got 28k on mine, and it seems to be working just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i gots almost 50k miles, and i grind the heck out of it when i shift wrong, and i dont have one single problem. i ride the clutch like a lazy pig, and its still solid.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Manual vs automatic

Had a 2011 JKU Sport manual with 60000 miles no problem. I now have a 2013 Rubicon manual with almost 40000 miles also with no problems at all.

In the past I have been stranded two times due to my having an automatic. I have had two other automatics that required EXPENSIVE repairs as well.

I have never been stranded with a manual and now I insist on a manual.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nearly 10k and no issues at all.

Yesterday I did some research and learned that if/when I do have an issue, if not just normal wear and tear, it will likely be related to the "clutch throw out bearing" and that is not a big deal nor expensive to replace (just potentially time consuming if you have never done clutch work before). There is also information on shimming the clutch fork pivot ball with what amounts to two washers to make the geometry of the clutch much more favorable. There were TSBs for both of these items years ago so there is a distinct possibility that the 2014-2015 manufactured JKs don't even have this issue anymore (one can hope right?). If/when the time comes I found links with photos of how to do this job in other forums (easy to find with Google searches).

The key is that we apparently don't want to replace the throw out bearing with another Mopar version as those appear nearly broken out of the box. Decent aftermarket throw out bearings are the ones by Centerforce and National Brand. Both are night and day superior to Mopar's.

It looks like there will be some choices ahead of us when we decide to fix the JK manual transmission. We can just replace the throw out bearing (solves some people's issues), we can replace the throw out bearing and fix the pivot ball geometry (solves more people's issues), or we can do those two things and buy/install a complete clutch replacement kit (dual plate Centerforce is what I will likely use) because by doing this you then won't have to get back underneath your jeep for a worn out clutch for many years later.

In any case, unless I see complaints from people with 2014 or 2015 manual transmission JKs on this forum I will assume that issues other than normal clutch wear and tear have potentially been solved in the factory. If that's the case, then this post will just serve as a reminder when our clutches do wear out of what choices and parts to look at replacing.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
With any luck you'll get a good one.

Me, well, the POS manual in my '12 was one of many reasons that drove me to order my '13 with an auto.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Mine functions perfectly, noises are the only issue, annoying but livable.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pastor,
Enjoy the manual (and the Jeep!), it's one of life's little pleasures that is sadly going by the wayside. As others have already said, majority are just fine. And most likely there are 20 people complaining loudly, of which 18 can't properly drive a manual. Or they think it should shift like their BMW did.

I tend to believe that mechanical things will break early if they have a manufacturing flaw. You will be covered by warranty if you need it. Which is also the reason I don't waste money on extended warranties. And I've never needed one.

One of my bud's just replaced his clutch on his LJ for the first time... 210K miles.

I think you'll be fine.

And FWIW, '13 with 36000 miles here.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'm 3K trouble free on my '15 JKU. Last weekend I did check the fluid since I've read on here that they can come from the factory underfilled, which can cause noise/tougher shifting especially in colder climates. I stuck my finger in the fill hole and couldn't feel any fluid, so I drained and replaced with Pennzoil Synchromesh. I put about 2 qts in before it started oozing out of the fill hole, and only about 1.5 qts drained out. Seems to shift better but maybe placebo effect?

2 qts of Synchromesh ran me $9 each, while a quart of mopar fluid would've been $25ish. No brainer to me, although my dad looked at me funny when I said I was changing it out so early.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts