Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 03 wrangler. The heat is all or nothing. Im assuming its the switch or what ever you wanna call it on the back side of the fan control knob. Figured you guys would know best. Sure its a common problem. Let me know if you guys know what it is and everywhere i can find a new or used working one. thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are you saying that there is no heat/cool selection? If you are talking about a blower on high speed only, look toward the blower resistor pack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its the resistor for the blower motor, thats the problem I had with mine. that is if its for the fan speed. Im not sure about the tempature itself

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
If it is strictly a temperature issue start the car and use a flash light under the dash to watch the actuators on the air box. Move your temp control and watch for the one that tries to move. Once you find it try to help it move full travel. Sometimes the doors stick or just have a foreign object in the way. I have had to do this with the actuator that controls the air flow to the defroster. It is a vacuum operated system. If nothing is moving then check under the hood near the battery for a hose that is cracked open or disconnected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea the temp is fine its just the blower i guess. Its either full blast or nothing the other 3 speeds dont do anything. So its probably the resister pack?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I took the fan speed knob off, took some small piece of paper super glued to inside of plastic piece...should be good to go

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fan Switch Resistor

My 03 RUBICON had the same problem. Duralast has a replacement resistor for $16. Part #JA1476
So far I have all 4 fan speeds. The OEM I replaced looked burnt. The new one has an insulated coating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know where this resister is located, should I try to order the part and change it out, myself? I get 3 speeds, instead of 4. My middle speed won’t work at all. I assume that is what is wrong with it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Does anyone know where this resister is located, should I try to order the part and change it out, myself? I get 3 speeds, instead of 4. My middle speed won’t work at all. I assume that is what is wrong with it. Thanks in advance!
Yours might be a wiring or knob issue. The wires get hot and sometimes melt and the knobs crack from behind. Usually a bad resistor is when it only high works because it's bypassed on high only.

Reactions: Karebear83

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yours might be a wiring or knob issue. The wires get hot and sometimes melt and the knobs crack from behind. Usually a bad resistor is when it only high works because it's bypassed on high only.
Thanks! I’ll check those pieces, first. I did find the part and a video on how to change it out...doesn’t look too difficult. I DID get my new speakers hooked up this weekend and saved so much going with Crutchfield, I’m buying a second pair for my sound bar.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Thanks! I’ll check those pieces, first. I did find the part and a video on how to change it out...doesn’t look too difficult. I DID get my new speakers hooked up this weekend and saved so much going with Crutchfield, I’m buying a second pair for my sound bar.
It takes about 10 minutes for the resistor. I just bought a BWD brand at Advance Auto for around $17 and it's been fine for 3 years now. I'm heading to the Crutchfield retail store today to finish up my stereo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts