Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
[]D [] []V[] []D
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we all know the heaters in our jeep's are simply amazing! But lately I have not been getting full potential from mine. The blower just stopped working out of no where. So I began searching for answers to why and found out that the resistor and connector that go to the blower had been melted on the ground wire side. So I replaced both of these things and still no go? The relay is good, all fuses are good, so that leads me to believe the blower itself is bad, is there any type of check I can do to see if the blower is the true problem. I don't want to have to go digging in there to find out it is something else. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check the voltage right at the blower motor and see if you're getting power there. If so, the motor is probably bad. If not, work your way back until you find power. Is your Jeep a 97? Switch the blower to high so it will bypass the resistor and start probing some wires.

·
Registered
199 Posts
shrubeck said:
Check the voltage right at the blower motor and see if you're getting power there. If so, the motor is probably bad. If not, work your way back until you find power. Is your Jeep a 97? Switch the blower to high so it will bypass the resistor and start probing some wires.
To check the blower motor, remove it, and touch a battery charger to the motors terminals, if it spins, it's fine. I had the same problem, and I had voltage at the motor. But the motor was still good when I removed it to test. Turned out to be ground wire to the speed selector switch. It is one of the three larger wires coming off of that switch, mine was green. Easy way to check that is grab a multimeter set to continuity, preferably with a buzzer, check and see that the large green wire has continuity to a known ground. If not, you'll need to run a new one, you can splice in with relative ease, without even having to disturb the harness.

·
[]D [] []V[] []D
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep it's a 97, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To check the blower motor, remove it, and touch a battery charger to the motors terminals, if it spins, it's fine. I had the same problem, and I had voltage at the motor. But the motor was still good when I removed it to test. Turned out to be ground wire to the speed selector switch. It is one of the three larger wires coming off of that switch, mine was green. Easy way to check that is grab a multimeter set to continuity, preferably with a buzzer, check and see that the large green wire has continuity to a known ground. If not, you'll need to run a new one, you can splice in with relative ease, without even having to disturb the harness.
Is the motor grounded through the switch? I figured it would have its own ground and getting power there would make it spin regardless of the rest of the system. Good insight. Aside from the resistor, I haven't had any problems with mine.

·
[]D [] []V[] []D
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got the blower all figured out after replacing the resistor, the resistor connector and a brand new blower motor. Problem is, my heat is not hot now just luke warm at best. I'm suspecting the thermostat? and whats the stock temp for the thermostat like 190 somewhere around there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts