Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Destroying” is a bit dramatic...
My 2017 with 57000 miles has all the black flex tubing that protects the wiring flaking away. It crumbles with a light touch. This is happening anywhere near the heater core tubing and the alternator. Any solutions for this? I don’t want to put on more flex tube just to replace it again

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
pretty much normal.

·
Registered
702 Posts
+1 on the hood. You won't be able to do anything about the operating temp but you will cool it down faster after shutting it off

·
Registered
23 Posts
2016, Mine was gone at 35k. I re-did mine when I had to do a valve job, so far so good at 50k. As I recall there was a high temp option on the split sleeve.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
Hmmm, reading this is making me nervous about looking at a JKU this weekend!
don't be, it is just the cheap plastic conduit that is falling apart not the wires. Happens on most cars and trucks not just jeeps.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just looked at the alternator area of my '16 (19,980 mi on the clock). The plastic is still in pretty good shape. Looks pretty well like it did when it was new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Something I should be watching for?

So the crumbling conduit conundrum, is this something I should watch for when I look at the JKU? If it is fairly common, ok. But is it an indicator that should I find it, I should check out something else?

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
This is fairly common on all cars, some more than others. I'm sure FCA does not use the best quality split looms. I get high temperature split looms from ElecDirect.com. They sell various diameters in 50 foot sections for about $20 each. I've used these on most of my cars and hotrods, including my 2015 JK with 45K miles.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Better than split loom, get some actual 3m cloth electrical tape.
It'll outlast any Jeep on the road and is a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I put electrical tape around mine then a piece of conduit tape

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just discovered this on my '14. The engine compartment split loom just breaks by touching it. I found this when I saw some of it had collapsed on the generator (as apparently it's called now) then starting checking other areas. To me that's really surprising. I've wrenched on quite a few vehicles of various ages and never have seen that stuff just disintegrate like that in such a uniform fashion around the engine compartment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts