Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im new to this so bear with me please!! Ive had my 2001 TJ for 7 Years now, and the heat just recently went out with no warning. When I turn the knob from 1 to 4 the fan doesnt work, but when Im driving at highway speeds I get some heat in the cab, Im assuming its heat from the engine tho. Any bit would help, I dont know where to start with this though. Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The most common thing is the regulator for the fan speed-however usually still have one speed-about 20-30 bucks. Since you have heat but are not moving it (the air)-also could be the fan or the fan control. Very easy to replace fan unit-there is a thread on here tells how to do it-no tools needed. Could test fan motor by making a jumper and coming straight from the battery. If fan works you know problem is regulator or switch. if fan doesn't work about 100-130 bucks. Good luck!
Regulator and fan motor only 2 things I replaced and so far so good.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
You could just start a fire in your tub :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
It sounds like your fan speed switch. This is a known problem with a jeep. Take the unit out of the dash and disconnect the plug to the switch. Take a meter and check at the switch terminals and see if you get a connection. Make sure the plug is not melted. This is due to the blower motor getting old, and the brushes and bearings wearing out. It causes the motor to draw more current and the switch cant handle it. I replaced the whole panal with a new one, and the blower motor with a new motor from the dealer. I also did the relay mod to the fan switch. Do a search and you can find the mod on here. It uses a relay on each fan speed to flow the current through the relay and not the switch.

Good luck.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
"""""to remove heater control box for inspection""""

Remove the defrost vent cover , pull up on the far side not the middle. pops right off.
Remove the ashtray. Open it and push down on the tab on the inside and slide out.
Remove the screw behind the ashtray.
At the top of the center bezel where you removed the defrost vent cover,,,remove the 2 screws that hold on the bezel. Pull the whole center bezel off..pull right off.
The heater/ac controls will have a few screws holding it on...take them off.
Poof your done. and can inspect the controls.

READ through this WHOLE thread. And the links in post #10.
CLICK ME---->>>>http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/heater-fan-control-16174.html

If you have any more questions let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts