Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to street race before crossing over to the 4x4 world. I know in the race world we used to heat wrap our header to keep engine bay temps down for a cooler air intake.

My question is that since the intake manifold and the exhaust header are pretty much interwoven ( this is on the I 6 motor )between each other. Do you loose power since the intake is "warmer" air? Should you heat wrap the header to keep engine bay temps down and to provide for a cooler air intake?

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
That's a good question, if you have stock manifold cast iron or tubular header kind, they restrict some flow and hold a lot of heat which in returns cause them to crack, I've had mine of twice once to replace the gasket and then when I put a real header on it. This is a pain in the whole body job to do so if its not leaking leave it alone until it does and then wrap the replacement one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumpidy bump

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt except making them crack faster, I don't think rust is an issue with the factory ones. maybe just make up a piece if aluminum for the bottom of the intake to shield heat. I noticed my intake temp is 126° when I pulled it up on the scanner when warmed up. And your computer will compensate for whatever your air intake temp is reading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could see the comp changing based on temp but cooler air is more dense. So I would give you the extra ponies you may need. Why would they crack faster?

·
Registered
451 Posts
They are already prone to cracking, and if you're ever wrapped headers before and kept them, they rot away alot faster and it also voids the warranty.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Correct, on a street vehicle that will see wet weather, the wrap will stay damp for long and hold moisture and cause the metal to rot faster.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I plan to put some kind of heat shield on mine between the header and intake manifold to keep the intake air temps down. Since i don't plan to wrap my header, I have been looking into hood louvers like poison spyder and gen right off road to keep my underhood temps lower. I just like the idea of the heat sheild better because I am not sure how header wrap may affect the strength of my header.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts